1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Landscape bid question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by homecutspro1, Jun 4, 2012.

1. homecutspro1

homecutspro1 LawnSite Member

I have been asked by one of my existing lawn customers to submit him an estimate on some bush trimming. However, I am wondering how to include in the estimate an articulating hedge trimmer (not only for this job but future ones as well). The cost of it is about $639 (It's the Stihl Kombi 90 power unit and the articulating hedge trimmer and the weed eater attachment (a special Stihl is running) . I mean how do I code it in an estimate-under materials? I was thinking about coding it under materials and then adding a separate labor line. suggestions appreciated.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I don't break it down seperate but do charge more if I have to use an extended reach trimmer. Its hard to justify buying one of those trimmers but when you get one it will be faster and safer than a ladder.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Just add a rental fee? That or up your hourly rate to cover your costs as a business (so that you may buy these new tools to help save time).

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this really happening?

5. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

In this situation where I want to purchase a new piece of equipement to do a job, i bid normally & basically don't make a profit due to purchase. If the profit is only 1/2 the price of purchase then it might not make me any money on second job either. If ur doing $300 trim job you can't charge client $939...to pay for new trimmer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

You can't charge a customer for a new piece of equipment! Just rent one and charge him for renting it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

that is a very good question, i will ponder it and get back with you later after i finish this six pack.

8. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If i buy a new ZTR can I divide by 25 & charge my 25 clients 1/25th of purchase on their next bill? Nobody would finance a new mower if we could do this!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Haha of course, gotta build the cost of things into your business. No way around it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I have thought about it and i have added the cost of the equipment into a bid before, that we neede for that particular job.