Landscape fabric

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dmk395, Jan 22, 2002.

  1. dmk395

    dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,006

    I have an area around the perimeter of a house, where the homeowner wants to rip out the grass, and put a rock border around the perimeter instead of grass. Now there are a few existing rhodi's, but mostly just grass. I want to put something under the rocks so that weeds will not grow through. I have seen some thick black fabric, (not the homedepot stuff) and was wondering if it will work with existing plants? Also where can I find this thick fabric, almost resembles a blue tarpaulin type material?
  2. Atlantic Lawn

    Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC
    Messages: 950

    Have you tried AM Leonard or Gemplers ?
  3. dmk395

    dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,006

    I am in Massachusetts, we dont have those stores. Any other ideas?
  4. Turfdude

    Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,899

    Check out Dewitt weed fabric - but IMHO, all weed barriers SUCK!
  5. kris

    kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere
    Messages: 1,578

    I have to agree with you, but, if he is putting down rock I would use it. You cut the fabric around the plants.
  6. SLSNursery

    SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 442

    What area are you trying to cover. If you want thicker than the standard 3oz. or so, you have some options, but usually the rolls are 12' x 150, 200, or 300 feet long. You are looking for either heavier filter fabric, geotextile fabric, or the fabric that sometimes gets used under plants in nurseries or greenhouses. On jobs that we drive over the fabric with machines (loaders/backhoes/skidsteers) to spread aggregate we sometimes use the heavier materials. Check a construction supply house or landscape supply house. If your local supplier doesn't have it, check with a place that sells big drainage pipe.

    Otherwise, the 3oz. Typar (made by reemay and commonly available) should work fine. We sell and use a lot of this; a heavier weight is made, but I don't see it in stock very often except for special order. Why not use that and overlap a little more generously. You'll be able to find that in more conventional sizes (3x50,100,300, 4x300, 6x300, 12x300).
  7. dmk395

    dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,006

    The total area is probably about 300 sqft. Anything is better than that crap at home depot.
  8. Rex Mann

    Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 621

    Go to a paving stone wholesaler. They should have what you are looking for. It is called filter fabric. I buy it for 3.5 cents per square foot. My paver supplier sells it for 20 cents per sf. Just a little markup.

  9. site

    site LawnSite Member
    Messages: 168

    Look for AH Harris in Mass. I know they have multiple locations in NH, and they sell what you are looking for.

Share This Page