landscape installation

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
First I'm a mowing and application guy who got a designer to draw out a landscape plan for my personal home. I have no desire to take on the overhead or labor of a crew for installations. Just looking for some help.

I want to do the install myself. Part of it ego and accoplishment, but wondering what the cost for labor might run if I can't do it. I know every area has its own pricing and this is a very vague question. Is there a per plant fee that you charge to instal? I have a mix of yews, frothergilla, hydrangea, spriea, aucuba, and other smaller plantings. Maybe a total of 100 plants.

any ballpark estimate or per bush cost for the installation only?

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
If you're confident that you can design and manage all the work yourself and are only worried about labor then I would just consider bringing a guy or tow on from a labor staffing company for the work. In m are I can ge a good experienced laborer for under $20 an hour, and that includes all taxes and workmans comp insurance aswell

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
If you're doing it yourself you can take the time to do it right... Cost depends on access to water and the delivery time to soak the plantings 2-3 days in a row... Cost depends on wheelbarrow access from the truck to the site of individual plants... Ease of digging, bringing in ammendments and mulch...

If it was me, I would dig 20-33 holes, put in about 20-33 plants with its ammendments grab a hose and a beer and soak that much down... adjust the next step from that experience...

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I can do the work with out any problem. Will it get done all at once... probably not. Think I may split the lot in half. Front now and back later. I figured I would start taking old plants out as I check on the availablility of plants. The only problem I might run into is that some may be special order. I need to check on delivery fee. If delivery is pretty expensive then I may need to schedule a delivery on a friday and prepare to instal friday -sunday.

Ease of access it wide open and no heavy machines will be required. I'm looking at this as more of a pride thing and when people compliment me then i did all the work.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Even with getting all the plants at once, they'll be fine in the pots until you get around to doing it... I like to put the potted plants out in their general location and see first hand how they're going to look and make adjustments from there...

In fact I had some transplants that I potted temperarily, yet never got around to planting b4 the ground froze, so I buried the pots and mulched them in and will put them in their permanent home next Spring...