Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
You're a real peach.

And you wonder why you can't get work.
If I was looking for a lawn guy I'd want someone experience and know what they're doing

Hardscapes are going to be around for decades so I'd want a pro with references and previous work to look at !

Not someone who green learning on my project .

Way to many hacks pretending they know what they're doing

A bad lawn mow is like a bad haircut that grows out

A falling down wall or poorly designed hardscape is long lasting ugly ymmw

Registered
What I mean is, near the end of the job, I really loathe to do a thorough clean up, fix their grass that I've torn up with my machinery. So perhaps that is causing me to lose some enough referrals that is doing a lot of damage to my lead generation? I'd say there is some truth to this probably.
Cleanup is part of a finished job. Otherwise it makes you look sloppy.
Us boomers tend to like things tidied up.
If a customer drops 10 grand on a new patio, and after your finished making a mess that they need to cleanup. Or hire someone else to clean up after you. They aren't going to recommend you to their neighbor and friends.
I've noticed that (typically) the younger generations have shorter attention spans. By the end of jobs they get bored and just want to be done.
I've seen this with my younger workers over the years. My older workers take pride in the (job) completed. They are working for the paycheck, but they aren't satisfied with a half arse job.

Registered
Finish the job- Nothing looks worst than a nice new patio that has ruts, concrete dust and crap around it. Grab a yard of dirt andspread it, throw some seed down, its that easy.

I'd be pissed if I paid good money for a patio/retaining wall and they left they damage they caused. You broke it, you fix it.

Start doing plant installs too, not sure why you would think they are less profitable? You don't need to know every single plant, but adding some greenery, mulch/rock around the finished hardscape makes a TON of difference and really finishes the project.

Also- your competing directly with companies who mow as well. Most of their projects will be from those mowing customers, it would be hard to compete against them when they've built trust in that company. Definitely not saying to start mowing though....

Registered
I know of one or two company鈥檚 that only do hardscaping like walls and patios but they are ones who鈥檝e been around for over a decade
Likewise, and the ones I know who only do masonry and hardscaping seem to primarily stay busy subcontracting for bigger companies that are full service install companies.
Most of my clients want the whole shebang, plants, irrigation, sod, decks, water features etc, not just a patio or a wall..

Premium Member
We cant beat people away with a silly stick here. Im about ready to pull the stupid email and phone number off my truck and trailer so people dont keep calling and walking up to us on the street.
Have never had lettering, etc on a truck. But, then, I'm a solo op.

Word of mouth is priceless.

Premium Member
Cleanup is part of a finished job. Otherwise it makes you look sloppy.
Us boomers tend to like things tidied up.
If a customer drops 10 grand on a new patio, and after your finished making a mess that they need to cleanup. Or hire someone else to clean up after you. They aren't going to recommend you to their neighbor and friends.
I've noticed that (typically) the younger generations have shorter attention spans. By the end of jobs they get bored and just want to be done.
I've seen this with my younger workers over the years. My older workers take pride in the (job) completed. They are working for the paycheck, but they aren't satisfied with a half arse job.
Aging boomer here. We had a patio installed last year and wanted a turnkey job with no mess to clean up, etc. etc. The crew used wheelbarrows instead of a skid steer and .25" plywood to keep from tearing up the lawn. We paid more for that level of service but in the end it was well worth it.

Registered
Aging boomer here. We had a patio installed last year and wanted a turnkey job with no mess to clean up, etc. etc. The crew used wheelbarrows instead of a skid steer and .25" plywood to keep from tearing up the lawn. We paid more for that level of service but in the end it was well worth it.
Yep it's what people want.
If a roofer left a mess all over your yard after a shingle job. They would never get referrals.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts