1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Landscape lighting contract disclosures

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Dbilik1, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Dbilik1

Dbilik1 LawnSite Member

I’ve been bidding on more and commercial and sub work for larger contractors and don’t really have much legal jargon on my proposals. I am realizing that I need to add these things but I don’t really know where to start in terms to what all is relevant and necessary. For example I recently had a contractor call me to ask is I was excluding “dust control”. I’m aware that here in the desert if you kick up a lot of dust you need to wet your jobsite down but It’s not something I ever put much thought into, I know a lot of Contractors make mention of those things in their proposals. Another example is I bid a project and didn’t realize the architect specified all landscape lighting wiring be trenched 18” and run in pvc conduit which I initially missed in the notes. This was brought to my attention by the general and I revised my bid but had it not been it could have turned a nice project into a loser. I’m sure I can find a list of construction contract disclosure but I’d like to put something together a little more industry specific. Any thoughts on this?

2. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Review any of contracts that you have gotten from General Contractors. You can often take the wording and work it towards your trade.

As far as rock clauses, general specs, terms, conditions or exclusions you will need to come up with those on your own, but it is not difficult.

greennola likes this.
  3. Jimmy Turks

Jimmy Turks LawnSite Member

Hire a Lawyer...
    You don't expect a lawyer to do their own lighting, so why would you think that it would be a good idea to do your own legal contracts?

RDALawns likes this.
  4. Dbilik1

Dbilik1 LawnSite Member

Yes Jimmy, that is what I am going to do I think over the winter in the next mont or two. A landscaper friend told me that construction law as opposed to contract law is the correct type of lawyer for this. I just question how they will know what need to include since this is a kinda unique specialty type biz. I know I can come up with some of the things it needs to include but it’s the things I haven’t thought of that I would really like to be covered on.