1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Landscape lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Brett McKechnie, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Brett McKechnie

Brett McKechnie LawnSite Member

I am starting a landscape lighting company in the Mass. area. I would like to know if any of you think there is a need for this service or not and what the obsticals are to being successful at it.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

The only obstacle that I can think of is that you may need to be a licensed electrician. Outdoor lighting sure wakes up a landscape and provides a level of security. I do some repair, mostly changing out fixtures that go bad. Good luck with your venture!

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Brett,

Good luck with your new venture. You never know what you may find until you try it :)

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Brett,

You might want to give Shemins Nursery in Shrewsbury a call. Last year they had a lighting seminar in March. They might be able to tell you what you do and do not need to be licensed for.

One thing to be concerned with is that a number of towns are starting to regulate "light pollution". Sometimes neighbors do not like the extra light.

I think you are in a good market. That area had more landscapers per capita than any area I have ever seen about 20 years ago. I used to work for Gold Star/Seasons Four/ Christmas City.

I would check with the local building departments. Good luck.

Andrew