Landscape Paint

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TheLawnShark, May 8, 2008.

  1. TheLawnShark

    TheLawnShark LawnSite Member
    Messages: 85

    What do you guys use when creating a new bed? I usually just get the brown bed out and eyeball it using my original drawings but on lengthier beds and more complex designs it gets rather difficult. I wouldn't think you all use spray paint or something to mark the new bed but I don't know. Thanks
  2. slawn

    slawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 326

    Marking paint, same thing they use to mark phone lines and such. You can pick it up at any building supply store.
  3. PSUturf

    PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 663

    I'll place some wood stakes (like large popsicle sticks) to mark the bed outline then play connect the dots with turf marking paint. Call me lazy but I like to use a marking gun rather than bending over with the paint can.
  4. Isobel

    Isobel LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 548

    Marking paint, with the inverted tip sprayer. just flip it over and shoot the spray down. Works great, and is not permanent.
  5. JFF

    JFF LawnSite Member
    Messages: 248

    Depending on how intricate the layout and design are, I have been known to use paint.

    Just one color, though. I am not an artist.
  6. JNyz

    JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,087

    You can also use the garden hose or sometimes we use our lowering line we use for tree work if we forget the paint. With the hose or rope we can show the client how it will look or make changes before we cut the bed out.
  7. KGR landscapeing

    KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,544

  8. TheLawnShark

    TheLawnShark LawnSite Member
    Messages: 85

    I apprecaite all the input. It looks like the marking paint will be the way to go. I see the city using it all the time to mark the sewer lines, phone lines, gas lines, etc. Thanks again guys.
  9. brownings

    brownings LawnSite Member
    Messages: 22

    garden hose works for me
  10. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,876

    One of the first tools every landscaper should have is a marking wand, like this;


    But take the little wheel off. Those are for girls.

    Use white paint. One, it stands out more than the others. Two, most of the other bright colors are for utilities; yellow=gas, orange=phone/cable red=power, etc. Don't want to confuse things. White is standard for marking new stuff to be added.

    I have 2 in my pickup and always a case of white marking paint too. I use this thing 5x or more every week. I even use them when giving estimates just to paint out how the patio or bed or lawn would look.

    One other tidbit - these don't seem to work in really dry climates. Here in Oregon, marking paint sticks to the ground like white on rice. But I went to AZ last year to do a huge job and I couldn't get the stuff to stick to their soil no matter how hard I tried. The top of the soil was just too dusty. So if you live in that kind of climate, you can't really use these.

Share This Page