1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Landscape Services or Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Martee, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

starting this spring as new business owner and trying to decide which ending to use Landscape Services or Lawn care.
    I will be doing mowing, edging, trimming, blowing,weeding beds and light pruning . Will contract out fertilizing as I wont have a license for this.
    I want to know what you think of when you see each of them as what this person does. I feel that Landscape services tell them I do any services for your landscape and Lawn care only does mowing?????
    what are your thoughts

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a personal pet peeve for me. I consider landscaping, planting trees shrubs, building retaining walls, landscaping. I don't understand how mowing can be landscaping, you are not installing anything? I would saw that Lawn Care fits better than landscaping. But I think Lawn Maintenance would fit the best for what you are going to do.

3. drsogr

Nothing pisses me off more when someone asks what I do and I tell them that I am a landscaper, and they say "oh, so you mow yards."

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How about "Lawn & Land Care"? That is what we use btw...

5. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

How about Property Maintenance or Outdoor Services?

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

How about Landscape Maintenance, Mowing is part of Ladscape maintenance just as much as mulching and pruning are. I personally use Lawn Care, but I've had the same name since I was 15, if I had to re do it I'd probably use Landcare or Lawnservice. I like the term lawn servise b/c it's cut and dry

7. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I would not limit it to lawns. I list landscape design, consultation, installation and maintenance. I don't offer every landscaping service but I don't offer lawn service either. The worst you have to do is tell them you don't offer that service. Also you may want to expand later. Actually I don't have anything saying what I do in my business name, although I should have added landscaping. I figured when I advertised I would list the services. If I get a real website though, my business name is taken without the landscaping and I don't know how the domain names work legally as far as using your exact business name.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

My business name includes "lawn care" but every advertising piece I put out lists the other services I offer. If someone asks what I do, I tell them I'm a lawn jockey...j/k. I tell them I do lawn maintenance, this makes them realize I do more then just mowing.

9. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

I understand how this is a pet peeve for some thats why I am asking because I see lawn care as doing fertilizing and such and dont want to limit myself I like the Landscape maintenance but honestly have a hard time saying the word maintenance its a tongue thing for me. LOL
    I will do installs also if they want as long as they are small.
    I am getting a landscape contractors license. So I can do more, will also do irrigation stuff just need to find out what I have to do without a specific license.

10. drsogr

Well when I was deciding my name, I was looking at doing most lawn maintenance....then I switched completely to landscaping. I picked the name ......Lawn and Landscape. It still works for me since I do 70% sodding.