Landscape+Spraying Project Question

Lawnstar688

LawnSite Member
Recently was doing a front yard landscape renovation project and had a question for y’all regarding 24-D, dicamba and seeding. So this client had this huge rain garden in their front yard, it was basically jungle every type of weed, plant, pacasandra, ivy, shrubs, you name it and they wanted to get rid of all that vegetation and replace it with grass seed, no big deal your normal type of landscape Reno work. So i leveled all the vegetation, cut it all down to a couple inches and removed the brush. Typically for clearing I just use glyphosate concentrate 6-8 oz of 41% glyphosate per gallon, add in the surfactant and good to go, spray it wait 10-14 days, till and reseed; however, this property Was infested with daffodils and other bulb type vegetation which in my experience roundup or glyphosate is not particularly effective at all at killing so I added 24-D/ dicamba at 4 oz a gallon to the mixture and sprayed everything. It was a couple days later I realized (duh) dicamba has residual soil activity which can harm seed, according to the label you have to wait 3-4 weeks before re-seeding. so here’s my thought process it’s already been 5 days since the herbicide application, I’ll wait another 7-10 days for the herbicide to penetrate the entire root system of the pacasandra and other vegetative material, then till the whole area, rake up the roots & debris, and water in the top layer of soil for a couple days to dissipate any lingering herbicide before applying the seed. Does this sound like the right plan ( given the circumstances lol), how long do you guys wait for the herbicide to kill ivy and pacasandra, would you guys take a different approach to the tilling, seeding, etc. or in a different order, thanks appreciate your feedback just want to make sure I don’t kill the seed and then waste a week or two watering it.

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
My first question is why are you removing a rain garden. What was it protecting in the first place and where is all the water being routed and filtered now?

OP
L

Lawnstar688

LawnSite Member
No they don’t have a drainage problem, I guess that’s what it would be called or an English garden, basically no uniformity like tons of different plants just thrown in there just dense vegetation, it looked like forest lol

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok that’s not a rain garden. A rain garden is a depression used to store and filter storm water sometimes called a bios wale. I was stoping you from getting into trouble if it was a requirement for that property. Carry on.

OP
L

Lawnstar688

LawnSite Member
Thanks I hear you, drainage problems either solving them or creating them are not fun to deal with. So anyways the customer hated the overgrowth and appearance so I leveled out the vegetation leaving a couple inches. Instead of spraying everything with just glyphosate concentrate (6-8 oz per gallon) as I usually do I also added dicamba/24-D) as there was a lot of bulb type vegetation, daffodils, onion grass, etc. which roundup in my experience has little effectiveness in killing off; however, I know (certainty now) that dicamba has residual soil activity which can kill off new grass seed which is the ultimate goal to get rid of everything and replace it with lawn so the label indicates that you have to wait 3-4 weeks before seeding after the dicamba application; however, it’s not that simple for me because I have to till the whole area to remove the root systems, level out the area. So my thinking is this, it’s already been 5 days since the herbicide application, wait another 7-10 days for the herbicide to penetrate the entire root systems of all the plants, till the area, rake up the roots and debris, water the top layer of soil for a couple days to eliminate residual herbicide and seed, does this sound like the correct approach?

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
If you’re just doing a lawn don’t over think it. Those bulbs are going dormant and will die with constant cutting

OP
L

Lawnstar688

LawnSite Member
I agree definitely overthought this one, moral of the story keep it simple do what works. Although I already did all the spraying with the dicamba so you think I should go with my original plan, wait 10 days for the herbicide to go through the plant root systems, till the area, water in the soil, call it a day

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Dicamba is a percolator . I think you’ll be fine with plenty of first watering

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
When it's crunch time at end of season I prefer to go with what I have and clean up any remaining weeds next year.

What you are seeding matters too, if it happens to be tall fescue it won't be harmed by 3 way before germination in my experience.