• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Landscaping company or property maintenance company? Which are you?

fiveoboy01

LawnSite Silver Member
Just a pet peeve of mine.

Some guy with one truck, a trailer and 2 mowers, with XXXX mowing and landscaping, or something to that effect, as the company name.

Just because you throw down a few yards of mulch each season does NOT make you a landscaper. Neither does pulling some weeds or overseeding someone's front yard.

I don't pretend to be a landscaper and I certainly don't have it in my business name, even though I do more than some of the self-appointed "landscapers" here.

I realize anyone can name their business whatever they want, but I wish people would be more correct on this. There is a big difference between a maintenance company and a full-on landscaping outfit.

/rant

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
we go with xxxxx professinal lawn service as that is our main focus, but we conider ourselves property maintenance as we do pretty much everything to maintain, but even some installs

OSU 09

LawnSite Senior Member
We have "landscape solutions" in our name. We do a lot a landscape work as well as maintenance work so I feel that name covers both areas

OP
fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

LawnSite Silver Member
Then what about something along the lines of property maintenance?

Is it a good idea to potentially mislead customers as to the services you offer just because you want your business' name to be taken seriously?

Vogel-Landscaping

LawnSite Member
if you do any type of planting or changing of the landscape as part of your business you could consider yourself a landscaping business.

dictionary.com defines landscaping as:

–verb (used with object)
5. to improve the appearance of (an area of land, a highway, etc.), as by planting trees, shrubs, or grass, or altering the contoursof the ground.
6. to improve the landscape of.
–verb (used without object)
7. to do landscape gardening as a profession.

so if your installing mulch beds, planting shrubs, pulling weeds, or doing anything to change the contourse of the land your working on. your doing landscaping.

but thats just the way i look at it. i do full installs of all kind so i dont fall under your description but it is what it is.

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
if you do any type of planting or changing of the landscape as part of your business you could consider yourself a landscaping business.

dictionary.com defines landscaping as:

–verb (used with object)
5. to improve the appearance of (an area of land, a highway, etc.), as by planting trees, shrubs, or grass, or altering the contoursof the ground.
6. to improve the landscape of.
–verb (used without object)
7. to do landscape gardening as a profession.

so if your installing mulch beds, planting shrubs, pulling weeds, or doing anything to change the contourse of the land your working on. your doing landscaping.

but thats just the way i look at it. i do full installs of all kind so i dont fall under your description but it is what it is.
Agreed

Landscaping is landscaping.

I do not do large full installs, but when a clients asks me if I can do some landscaping such as installing a new bed with sprinklers, mulch, and plants. I do not say well I am no "landscaper" but I can probably "maintenance" that stuff in for you.

Yea, no. I do not have landscaping plastered on my trucks but I'll not deny that I do small landscape jobs.

I still charge the client the same whether I call it landscaping or whatever it is I would call it if I did not approve of calling small landscape jobs landscaping.

Darryl G

Inactive
Around here, it seems every guy with a pickup truck is a "landscaper" or a handyman these days. It's a product of the lousy economy. People are doing whatever they can to make a living.

I have landscaping in my company name but I don't do much landscaping and I do little to no hardscape work, just too labor intensive for me. My orignial business plan had me doing more landscaping than maintenance work, but that's not how it worked out. I've got a contractor's license, a compact tractor/loader/backhoe and a dump trailer, so I'll keep calling my company what I please, even though the landscaping portion is only about 10% or so of my business. Sorry if that upsets anyone.

LandscapeSavannah

LawnSite Member
My last name, and then landscape. Service tag is, Design Installation Irrigation Maintenance. If it's outside then it can be done. From Mowing to lighting, to patios and irrigation. Wish I did tree work also.