1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Landscaping degree in GA???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnworks, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I live in central GA and want to know if any of yall know of any college other than UGA that offers landscape design? I make about 70,000 a year and just cannot leave the money to go to school at UGA. I guess I want a degree in landscape design rather than architecture. My major is accounting right now, and I will have 57 hours after this semester, but I want to change my major to something not so godforsaken boring. I just want to know if yall know of any other colleges besides UGA. Do you have to intern for a landscape design degree?? That would suck.

2. Cheese burger

Cheese burger LawnSite Member

Art institute of Atlanta
    Abraham Baldwin in tifton

3. hlgmoney

hlgmoney LawnSite Member

Clemson is right next door, but it's out of state tuition.

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Its interesting how training fits a geographic region. Get you design degree in the area you want to design in for the long haul.

We moved to Savannah from Oregon for an experiment - and I wanted to see the east coast.

Pruning skills transferred very easy, that's rather universal.

But for design, soil knowledge and local insects and diseases, I had at least one hand tied behind my back.

We moved back to Oregon after 8 months. I was trained here, and realized that I could put all my skills to use here.

Currently, I am the only person in Portland that is a landscape designer, that also does pruning and offers tree service.

Hope you succeed in your desire.