1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Landscaping for Narrow Strip

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jim1504, May 9, 2007.

1. jim1504

jim1504 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I'm wondering if you guys might have some suggestions as to what landscaping might like good in the pictured area. The area is about 30 feet long and 2.5'-3' wide (from the fence to the deck) at its narrowest. I live in the Dallas area. I'm not necessarily looking for landscaping to block the fence. I'm at a loss since the area is so narrow. Thanks for any help!

sidefence.jPG

2. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

Well if it were my house I definetely would not want grass there which has to be mowed or trimmed. They will either end up with grass stains on the fence or grass in the pool. I would spray whats there and plant some ornamental grass or flowers.

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Perennials, vines on fence or trellis, maybe a narrow growing evergreen or 3 for some year round interest. Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' hollies. Lot's of color to enjoy during the pool use seasons.

Kirk

4. jim1504

jim1504 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Great ideas guys!

Dreams to Ideas
    I think I'll go with the Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' hollies. Any ideas on placement and/or spacing? Thanks.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, if you'd like. Send me an email and I can forward the a data sheet in PDF format for the Sky Pencils. They can grow from 8" -12" tall and up to about 36" in diameter. I don't believe I have seen one greater than 18" in diameter, but you are in Texas, and we know everything is bigger there. They can be used as a hedge, but better of in groups of three or two and a third used as an exclamation point. They are relatively clean and are very durable.

Kirk

7. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Stone sounds the best. People may brush up into bushes and plants while walking around. Leaves and pedals will fall of and may get into the pool.

just my 2 cents

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I would use a Bamboo with a sealed rootguard. Possibly Phyllostachys a. spectabilis or nigra is a cool one. If you prefer a clumping variety try fargesia nitida "fountain Bamboo". Bamboo is evergreen and gives a patio a tropical feel. Flare the bed out on the end and flank the end with a multitrunked Chamaerops Humilis "Mediteranean fan palm". If possible water everything on a netafim drip. The nature of bamboo leaves is that they are also very translucent. Put 5 or 6 uplights at the bottom of the plants and the foliage with glow all the way up through the canopy a beautiful lime green and the reflective light will help illuminate the pool deck as well.

9. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

only problem with stones is they HURT on bare feet...if they get out of their bed

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would not plant anything in that narrow of an area. A few long planting boxes with annual flowers might work. Or planter boxes with vines and trellises.