• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Landscaping over grass

Nitroman

LawnSite Member
I'm mainly a lawn care guy but just picked up a descent mulch and flower job. It is over grass and I was planing on renting a bed edger. I was wondering what some of your more cost effective, but efficient ways were of killing the grass but still being able to plant flowers over it were. I'm not a real experienced landscaper as you can tell so any steps would be great.

crawdad

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by 60"dixie
I'm mainly a lawn care guy but just picked up a descent mulch and flower job. It is over grass and I was planing on renting a bed edger. I was wondering what some of your more cost effective, but efficient ways were of killing the grass but still being able to plant flowers over it were. I'm not a real experienced landscaper as you can tell so any steps would be great.

I don't know about your state, but most places require you to be certified in order for you to use chemicals such as Roundup, so clear plastic, laid over the grass, cooking it in the sun, would be most cost effective. When all is dead, remove and re-use the plastic.
Crawdad

Chris Wagner

LawnSite Senior Member
Of course there is always gasoline or boiling water... but you'll still have to get rid of the turf.

launboy

LawnSite Senior Member
if the area is not a big one use a flat head shovel (sharpen the tip with your grind wheel) just scrape off the top layer or maybe about 2 inches lower of grass. put some kind of weed killer down (if you can) put down fabric (optional) plant your plants, spread your mulch, admire your work,collect the check. or if the area is big use a sod cutter definitely.... you really need to get down to a bare dirt bed or you will have mucho grass and weeds

dougaustreim

LawnSite Senior Member
Killing the existing grass is really the only option. Unless you can dig out every last root, the grass can come back. Preen is fine for preventing seeds from germinating, but is not effective for grass coming back from roots that are in the bed. Black plastic will prevent the grass from coming through, except up through the holes cut for the plants.

The easiest and least work is roundup sprayed over the bed area.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

D Felix

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you use the plastic trick, use black plastic. Remove it before you mulch, plastic has no place in the landscape, especially under mulch. Not even rock.

I know you are in Indiana, and you do need to have a commercial pesticide liscense to apply chemicals. Round-up included. Now, if you wanted to paint out the bed, and have the client spray the grass, well, I suppose that's one way around it.:D

If you want to get certified, you probably want categories 3A (ornamentals), and 3B (turf). The turf category is a PITA, from what my boss says. The ornamentals isn't so bad. Find the Office of the Indiana State Chemist through the Purdue website (http://www.purdue.edu). Or call them at 765-494-1585. You will need the core (RT) before you can get a category. I think you may be SOL on the core testing for the spring at this point though.

Lemme know if you need any more info.

Dan