Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright,

This may be a tough question but lets see what kind of help I can get.

I am very seriously consodering going into the landscaping industry after college and wanted to ask about LCO schooling.

What kind of schooling is their for this type of field. I am looking to go into alot more than just cutting grass and looking at the harscaping aspect as well as the weekly maint. on accts. I am not sure of their is schooling for landscaping design, horticulture, or what? Has anyone gone to school before getting into their bussiness?

If their are any of these schools, what are their names.

Please help where able!

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
yes there are colleges and universities that have a horticulture program. Purdue, Cornell and many others

Do a search on the internet. You just might want to change majors

·
Banned
36 Posts
Contact SUNY FArmingdale. It's on Long Island so it's not too far from you. Your state may also have programs. I got an associate's (2yr) in Ornamental Horticulture and Landscape Development from there. It taught me a lot! After that I got a 4yr BS in Agriculture in Plant and Soil Sciences from U of Delaware. Both are great schools for landscaping. Check out the internet for info on schools and good luck

·
Banned
36 Posts
Nassau, western.

Yeah, LI is landscaping loco.

Oh yeah, thanks for your reply about the storage. I got a good garage to move to (10x20) at a new storage place right smack in the middle of where I work so I'm thrilled. See ya, gotta run (yo!)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Naugatauk tech college in waterbury.

·
Registered
214 Posts
NCSU- whats involved in the Landscape technology? Like what kinds of things do you study?

Jammer- Is that the same thing as Naugatauk Community College?

LandscapeEscape-
Drop me an email- i can give you tons of sites for searching for colleges with certain majors and all kinds of things like that...I'm doing the same as you are right now.

thanks

-Coop

·
Registered
607 Posts
same thing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The University of IDAHO has a fine Landscape Architect program and a few Plant & Soil programs. And it's affordable. And it's a fun place to be!

Alternativley, consider a business degree or program along with a professional certification program from an org like ALCA.

Horticulture/Design degree
Business degree
Professional certification
Experience
Lots of CASH
A beautiful secretary
A tough truck

What more could you want?

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by lugnut#6
are there non university schools with shorter programs?(2 years or less).
Yes................Colleges..................;)

State Universities often have Hort programs. Don't let the name University fool you here................they are mostly 2 year gigs......:)

·
Banned
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by Cooper Landscaping
NCSU- whats involved in the Landscape technology? Like what kinds of things do you study?
Coop,
The landscape technology part was part of several different areas of landscaping. You study the modern ways of pruning that they have researched at the school, arborist techniques such as climbing, pruning etc, study the proper ways of landscape maintenance, greenhouse crop production, field nursery production, plant pathology, insect ID and control, turfgrass pesticide along with ornamental pesticide, plant ID (memorize about 300 plants with scientific names and cultivars), and also equipment repair. John deere sponsored our school so they would bring in new equipment for us to break down and put back together again along with kaw engines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know if this will interest you, but the Ct. Nursery and Landscapers Association is offering an Accredited Nursery Education Program. It is short only 13 weeks and costs non-members $150. It starts August 26. You should check out their website. Added bonus, this program is honored in all of New england.

·
Registered
214 Posts
NCSU-
Sounds liek an interesting program. Thanks. Btw- doesn't North Carolina have some wacky thing where the state school have to accept 82% people from NC and the other 18% filled with people fromt the other 49 states? Thanks

Turtle-
Is this a night course? Once a week? I'de also like the web site. Thanks

-Coop

·
Banned
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by Cooper Landscaping
NCSU-
Sounds liek an interesting program. Thanks. Btw- doesn't North Carolina have some wacky thing where the state school have to accept 82% people from NC and the other 18% filled with people fromt the other 49 states? Thanks
From what i have seen when i lived at the school, most of the people were from NC but alot of them are from out of state too. Ive never heard about the acceptance ratios but the main reason out of state people dont go is the tuition is double for them than people in NC. NC people pay around $10,000 a year while out of state is about $22,000. Not sure why that is but it might be to discourage them from coming so their "numbers" work out like you mentioned. Ill have to look it up for ya.

·
Registered
214 Posts
NCSU-
I only asked because when looking at schools for my sister last year i believe that they said that at UNC. Made me wonder a little bit why they would regulate it like that. I also remember the tuition thing lol- that would tend to discourage a lot of people!

-Coop

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.