1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Laptop in Vehicle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by menchhofer, Apr 2, 2003.

1. menchhofer

menchhofer LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Probably not the right category to post but I am putting laptop and printer in vehicle and would like to know what type of power converter you guys have/currently use.

I am thinking of about an inverter with two plus about 150-200 watts to power both the pc and the printer. Any comments?

Thanks

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think Ray Kirby does it in his truck...could be wrong tho???

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Do a search I'm pretty sure KS Land showed his set up about a month ago, it was pretty nice.

4. Hometown

Hometown LawnSite Member

You should be able to order a power adaptor from the maker of your laptop. I used to run a IBM 365x in my truck and I just ordered mine from aftermarket company IBM recomended. I would be alittle leary about running the laptop in the summer in the truck I used mine mostly in the winter while doing snow removal, the heat will really play havoc on the computer sytems they usually like it a little cooler than the inside of a truck on a 95 degree day.

5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Sony Viao and a HP Laptop printer in my truck. I power it with a 300 watt converter with 2 plug outlets. Fan cooled and it runs all day with no problem. Both my printer and laptop have batteries just in case there is a problem. The power supply charges them all the time so they are never dead.
    :D

6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, as for the heat..... I leave my windows rolled down a little and I have had no problem for the past 2 years. I do throw a white towel over the laptop if I am going to be out of the truck for more than 30 minutes or so.

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a really nice power inverter from target for $29.99

It says it's good for laptops and it's fancooled. I ran a 13"tv and a Playstation 2 for about 800 miles with no problems.

8. GREEN DRAGON LM

GREEN DRAGON LM LawnSite Member

I use a 300 watt. It runs a dell and a hp printer

9. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

I almost done this
    my first year

10. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

In my full time job we have lots of electronics in our vehicles. In mine I have two high ban radios, a gps unit, two rechargeable flashlights, and a panasonic tough book computer.

When we first put the equipment in everything but the laptop ran on 12v, and we used a 300w inverter to power the laptop.

That inverter will run a battery dead in a short period of time.
    We then found a 12v power cord for the laptop and we are now able to leave the engine off all day with the laptop up an running if needed.

The cords are expensive, I think we paid $75.00 for ours.

We have 8 trucks outfitted like this for the past two years with no problems.