Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These blades were used on Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive 72" VX4 deck. I removed blades today and replaced with another identical set.

The soils here in Southeastern NC are sandy in some areas and the grass may thinner in the sandy areas causing extremely fast wear on standard blades. Also hundreds of large fire ant mounds to contend with. Standard blades usually need sharpening every 8-10 hrs to get a clean cut.

You can see in pics below the amount of wear on the LaserEdge blades at 107 hrs. Even with this amount of wear the LaserEdge itself is still extremely sharp and leaving a clean cut. However the sails are almost worn away, especially on middle blade. I would assume these blades would be completely out of balance.

There is an obvious difference in the amount of wear on each blade. The middle blade is worn the most, then the left trim side blade, and the right discharge blade is worn the least. I have no idea why the wear pattern is so different on each blade. The cut is perfectly level, no stragglers or uncut grass.

I would have never thought it would be possible for any type of blade to last this long. With the standard Oregan blades, as the blades became dull the cutting edge would get rounded and no longer cut clean. With the LaserEdge edge the more the blades wear, instead of getting duller, they get sharper. Even though the sand is wearing away the sail the cutting edge is getting sharper. These blades are Marbain which is the hardest, strongest, longest lasting material in the industry. If interested in more information about Marbain click link.

Enclosed are pics of new blades with 4" LaserEdge on Marbain steel. Also pics at 107 hrs.

Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood
Material property Gas Rectangle Font Gun accessory
Rectangle Automotive exterior Tints and shades Auto part Font
Wood Natural material Tool Bumper Hardwood
Wood Hardwood Font Tool Art
Wood Shelf Tool Font Hardwood
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Office ruler Wood stain
Wood Grey Tool Automotive exterior Denim

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
How much does a set cost you? Were they identical to what Hustler recommends? Do they make blades for all OEM’s?

I know the Oregon blade that matches the Scag blade cuts and lasts nicely for a third the price of the Scag blade. But the Scag blade moves grass better and stripes nicer (in my particular circumstances) so I still use OEMs the majority of the time. Wish I could go all Oregon but I just can’t. Wondering if these would work as nice as the Scags (I currently use the 482878’s and the 482879’s). If they’re not too price, I might try a set.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A set of 3 cost $120. These blades are for a 72” Gravely. They have a .005 offset where as Hustler blades are straight bottom with 0 offset. I raise deck 1 setting higher in all increments to allow for offset.

The Oregon blades I was using cost $45 for 3 blades and each set would last approximately 25 hrs. Plus they had to be removed and sharpened after each 8-10 hrs. At 25 hrs. per set at $45 each equals $180 per 100 hrs.

For the LaserEdge at $120 per 100 hrs. and never having to remove and sharpen, it's a no brainer.

The Fisher Barton site list the difference OEM's that they make blades for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A set of 3 cost $120. These blades are for a 72" Gravely. They have a .005 offset where as Hustler blades are straight bottom with 0 offset. I raise deck 1 setting higher in all increments to allow for offset.

The Oregon blades I was using cost $45 for 3 blades and each set would last approximately 25 hrs. Plus they had to be removed and sharpened after each 8-10 hrs. At 25 hrs. per set at $45 each equals $180 per 100 hrs.

For the LaserEdge at $120 per 100 hrs. and never having to remove and sharpen, it's a no brainer.

The Fisher Barton site list the difference OEM's that they make blades for.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Sounds like those things work the best in adverse conditions? Would they be awesome for those of us on more manicured lawns? I’m intrigued I’d like to hear how they work for other people who mow in conditions similar to mine

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I assume by your

I assume by your question "do you pass that cost along"? That you think I run a lawn care business. I do not, I only cut my own 10 acres.
Wow. I just assumed you did. Why else would you be telling a bunch of fellas who cut for a living, how to do things, unless you knew from your own experience? That explains why I didn't agree with you on your "what to look for when buying a mower",for example.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. I just assumed you did. Why else would you be telling a bunch of fellas who cut for a living, how to do things, unless you knew '
I'm not telling anybody whether they cut for a living or not how to do anything. I'm only sharing what has worked and is working for me.

The list "what to look for when buying a mower" came from experience and are things I would still consider when buying a new mower. The list was things that are easily overlooked when someone's enthusiasm and eagerness can get ahead of thoughtful consideration. Which can and often lead to buyers remorse.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Wow. I just assumed you did. Why else would you be telling a bunch of fellas who cut for a living, how to do things, unless you knew from your own experience? That explains why I didn't agree with you on your "what to look for when buying a mower",for example.
There is no one incapable of learning from someone else, no matter the experience in a particular field. Opinions are as defined, it's up to the individual to decide if they have use of information from someone providing their opinion achieved from personal experience.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Puppy I understand that and your point is taken. However, in MY OPINION, I thought he was getting a little preachy about some things, and after learning he does not “cut” like the majority of us on here, I thought it was odd that he was doing so when he just cuts his own personal lawn.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Puppy I understand that and your point is taken. However, in MY OPINION, I thought he was getting a little preachy about some things, and after learning he does not "cut" like the majority of us on here, I thought it was odd that he was doing so when he just cuts his own personal lawn.
I know what you're saying but 100 hrs on a set of blades to me is amazing. I usually cut 20 hours throw the blades away and buy a new set. But that was a while ago maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Puppy I understand that and your point is taken. However, in MY OPINION, I thought he was getting a little preachy about some things, and after learning he does not "cut" like the majority of us on here, I thought it was odd that he was doing so when he just cuts his own personal lawn.
I wasn't aware that the things I've learned from experience and observation would be considered preachy. BTW, I wish my 10 acres was what I would consider a lawn. It's anything but a lawn with valleys, slopes, ditches, ponds, pine roots, hundreds of fire ant mounds, sand, etc. You name it, I've got it.

I usually cut 30 - 35 times from April - November depending on Frost. It usually takes 2 consecutive days @ 4 hrs. each of actual cutting time. It has taken as long as a total of 14 hrs. when we get 2-3 weeks of non stop rain and everything gets overgrown. Then things require double and triple cutting.

I never mow wet grass or if rain is threatening. The reason it takes 4 hrs. each day is because the grass is in different areas all over farm.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
yeah, I don't care if he doesn't cut for a living, just assumed he did.

Now I see those blades are destroyed soley on his property.
Like I said before, I'm in awe what sandy soil can do.

just used to having blades last soo much longer in all this fescue here, but I get it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Trying to figure out why cutting commercial grass is so different from home grass. Now I cut 12 acres of 45 of a commercial horse farm. My conditions are much more difficult than a quarter acre of lawn grass. I need the biggest and most heavy duty mowers and weed wackers which I have.
I guess us farmers like Puppy and JLH need our own space. I plan on getting a set of 72 laseredge blades for my Gravely 672 and appreciate the information here about them. Especially when a Gravely dealer thinks they are a joke. See you at the GIE.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trying to figure out why cutting commercial grass is so different from home grass. Now I cut 12 acres of 45 of a commercial horse farm. My conditions are much more difficult than a quarter acre of lawn grass. I need the biggest and most heavy duty mowers and weed wackers which I have.
I guess us farmers like Puppy and JLH need our own space. I plan on getting a set of 72 laseredge blades for my Gravely 672 and appreciate the information here about them. Especially when a Gravely dealer thinks they are a joke. See you at the GIE.
You will be well pleased with the blades.

LCO's that mostly maintain weekly manicured lawns may not be aware of our conditions and therefore can't believe how sand can destroy blades quickly.

When you attend the GIE, will you check out the Hustler booth and see if they have any minor or major changes or upgrades to the Super Z Hyperdrive.

Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
It really isn't hard to understand why so many talk about there being a difference between private an commercial cutting. Farmers/privateers cut the same property every time regardless of size. Same turf type week to week etc. Commercial cutters cut a wide variety of properties, turf types, and conditions. Just because they cut in a certain area doesn't mean all properties are alike or the same grass and condition of turf etc. Definitely not.

The biggest difference is that commercial guys cut for their living and depend on keeping that income and what works best for that purpose is not always the same as what a private person may be bale to use or get away with. If a private person makes a mistake or messes up something on their own place, no big deal and they don't lose income or get a bad name over it, while a commercial cutter can and often does.

I don't have a problem with seeing threads like this one, but since you asked, I gave my view on the difference and why I think it matters to many here......guys want to hear from guys dealing with the same thing they are. YMMV

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
That's incorrect. There's generally a very big difference, not to mention the financial aspect as mentioned and also as mentioned, pleasing and keeping customers.. They may be the same weeklies, and on the same properties, but it's usually a wide variety of turf types and conditions. That's simply the facts and the truth.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts