Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Farming is much more complicated and farmers know quite a bit more than the average joe cutting a quarter acre lot for a living. I wish my farm equipment was as simple to use as my Gravely 672 and Echo 2620. The farmers on this site are probably more knowledgeable than most on LCO’s on this site. I go to farm show in Louisville every year and I am at the GIE now. Farm equipment is much more complicated and expensive than lawn care equipment. So I have great respect for anyone who farms for a living and maintains acres of lawn grass as I do.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
What kind of farming are we talking about? I'm surrounded by farmers. Family, friends, neighbors, you name it. This is corn and soybean country.

I'm not sure what your context is, but if it's cutting grass we are talking about than I'm going to disagree with you that farmers know more about it than LCO's.

Maintaining acres of lawn grass is a cinch and the farmers mower isn't any more complicated, in fact it might be simpler if it's a 3pt.

If you are comparing a combine to a zero turn mower well of course that's more complicated and expensive, but that's really got nothing to do with this forum or thread.

I see better maintained equipment from LCO's than I do from farmers when it comes to mowing grass, they just want that stuff knocked down. Most farmers I know are taking their stuff to the dealers just like so many lco's do. The generalization that farmers know more about maintaining acres of lawn grass than an LCO is terribly inaccurate.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I talked to FB about these blades two years ago at GIE. The rep was nice to talk to, knowledgeable. I enjoyed the talk. I also asked a few questions then about these blades. Wear, balancing and so forth.

These are not for me, and I will never buy them base on my own needs. Someone like Weeze who was on here who wore blades out left and right due to sand... yea ok. I mean, he wore them out sometimes so fast why even bother sharpening. So these would be ideal maybe. But me, I like a sharper corner edge than what these will wear to. And rather you buy into blade balancing or not.... I DO, and that alone will kill the idea for me.

Never thought about a farm application, but I can see and buy into that concept also. Might save a few some time, in KY on some of these farms though they sure would take a beating from rocks. But that is with any blade.

And honestly homeowner or pro, farmer or couch potato.... IDGAF either way. I can either accept or reject what someone has to suggest on my own and roll on regardless. I run into people who are full of $hit everyday on and off the computer. I have also met some folks who I would have never would have known a thing about _____ only to find out they had some pretty good ideas regardless of what I thought of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How much does a set cost you? Were they identical to what Hustler recommends? Do they make blades for all OEM’s?

I know the Oregon blade that matches the Scag blade cuts and lasts nicely for a third the price of the Scag blade. But the Scag blade moves grass better and stripes nicer (in my particular circumstances) so I still use OEMs the majority of the time. Wish I could go all Oregon but I just can’t. Wondering if these would work as nice as the Scags (I currently use the 482878’s and the 482879’s). If they’re not too price, I might try a set.
Talk to your Scag dealer this winter for availability of LaserEdge on the blade sizes you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I assume by your

I assume by your question "do you pass that cost along"? That you think I run a lawn care business. I do not, I only cut my own 10 acres.
I can tell you about a contractor in Central Florida who runs three Scag mowers everyday covering about 300 properties. He normally sharpens blades twice a week (3 blades X 3 mowers X twice a week= 18 blades per week). In 15 years, he has sharpened over 10,000 blades in his small operation. While sharpening blades at the end of a long day he has realized he is missing family dinner-time, kids sports, and pet and kid time in the yard. Yes, LaserEdge blades save him the cost of sharpening to justify the premium cost, but they also give him some time back in his day to do something else for his business or family.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
I can tell you about a contractor in Central Florida who runs three Scag mowers everyday covering about 300 properties. He normally sharpens blades twice a week (3 blades X 3 mowers X twice a week= 18 blades per week). In 15 years, he has sharpened over 10,000 blades in his small operation. While sharpening blades at the end of a long day he has realized he is missing family dinner-time, kids sports, and pet and kid time in the yard. Yes, LaserEdge blades save him the cost of sharpening to justify the premium cost, but they also give him some time back in his day to do something else for his business or family.
Very meaningful analogy!

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
If he runs 3 scag mowers everyday covering 300 properties then I would assume he can't be alone since one man can only run one mower at a time. That would mean he has help. Does the help not also do maintenance or what's keeping him from having his help do this?

If he's a solo doing 300 a week then holy crapola.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts