Late season new customers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zlandman, Apr 25, 2019.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Before I even started I put my foot down, no one time applications. I'm also no contract. The first application for a new customer is costly due to 3 way, pre em, and fert. What's to stop them from canceling? Most of my customers prepay for the year but those that dont...

What are your policies ?

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Just depends on the situation. 90% of my customers are getting more than 1 service. Mow, apps, landscaping, etc. For those customers, they are invoiced per service. Not an issue to add a service on the fly when I’m there every week already.

For 1 time customers, they have to approve the estimate 1st, then pay a deposit(1/2 the estimate) before any job gets scheduled. Just had 1 do it today. Wants a broadleaf app, fertilized, and a soil sample. $360($180 deposit). Approved, paid, and scheduled for Monday, weather permitting.

Also just signed up another lawn maintenance acct. 2 blocks from an existing customer. Threw it on the schedule for Monday/Tuesday and then will get moved to the appropriate route after the initial service. Her guy just went belly up(kinda early for that) so it’s not out of control but it would be if we waited til next Thursday.

You have to figure out what works best for you and your setup. Most 1 time jobs are being scheduled a month out for me but depending on what it is, I might be able to get it on the schedule within 1-2 weeks as long as it doesn’t require an empty trailer.

hort101 likes this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Without a contract your best bet is to have a start up fee for new clients that start late season. If you used a contract you could put the clause you want for cancellation.

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys. I think a start up charge is in order. That way I get paid out the gate for products needed to get things right.

hort101 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Years ago--if a late-add customer wanted to start. I would do their crabgrass control plus fertilizer, and then their broadleaf weed control. "Two applications--only 150 percent of the original price." Round one and two at the same time.
    That is only if they wanted to include the weed control and agreed to extra charge.