Here's some pictures from a lateral line reroute that Leo and I completed yesterday in 103 degree heat. Picture #1: Concrete pad with tree wells was poured at Easter break. A lateral line to a planter went through the area and was clearly marked for the contractors. However, instead of installing normal expansion joints they decided to saw cut the joints in after the concrete hardened. By doing this they cut right through the lateral line in several places creating a huge leak that came up through every joint. Picture #2: The route between the valve and the planter is now blocked by the concrete. Only way around the slab is through the adjacent kindergarten play box that is filled with "softfall" which is basically washed wood chips. Picture #3: Softfall was moved out of the way with the Bobcat so trenching could be done. Picture #4: Decided to try and plan ahead by running the 1" line for the planters and an additional 1-1/4" line in the event the site wants the remaining grass area next to the concrete slab irrigated. Since that area never had irrigation in it this would be classified as a "new project" requiring Area Administrator approval, budgeting and ultimately the money would come out of the site's budget. Picture #5: Leo boring under a 4' sidewalk to complete the reroute and reconnect the planter's line. Since it was such a short bore we used a device that is primarily used to water jet main line trenches. It worked slick by adding a small piece of 1" pipe to the end and then cutting it off at a sharp angle. It took maybe five minutes to bore this sidewalk and we didn't have to mess around with our normal boring equipment.