Launch!

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Thisjm, Nov 12, 2014.

1. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

1. Some guys always hate when I say this.... but always buy un-lit garland, then string it with lights. This way it always matches.
    2. Just tape up where you put the old inline plug so any water can't get in the system.
    3. Just relax putting the clips on. Slow and easy keeps them from breaking.

2. OP
    OP
    Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

:) thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

Did you buy the Vickerman stuff through Dara at cbydara.com? She is good about talking to Peter Vickerman if an issue like this pops up and making things right. If you buy though Dara you won't pay list price as well.

4. OP
    OP
    Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

I'm glad I figured out a groove for doing it but restringing takes time. Ugh!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. OP
    OP
    Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

Yes and I love working with her so far. She is trying to see what try can do.

How do you think a 14" garland would look wrapped on a gas lamp pole?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PlantscapeSolutions

send a picture a picture. The pole needs to be thick enough so that the garland doesn't look like it's devouring the pole.

7. OP
    OP
    Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

My concern exactly. Here is the house. Going for garland around the front door and with a wreath, wreath and topiaries for the mud room entry, teardrops under the lights on the garage and the gas lamp. Here is also a pic of those fixtures, how do I/can I hang the teardrops from them? Also separate quote for a 30' tree out of frame.

Going battery operated greenery, have you used them?

image2.jpg

photo.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

oh and also 24 battery operated candles for the windows

9. PlantscapeSolutions

I would use a black decking screw for the teardrop. Hang it and use a tiny bit of safety wire so it can't easily blow off.

battery powered are not going to look as bright and you may end up doing a battery change before you take it down.

I would nix the skinny lamp pole. If anything just a 12" red bow with gold trim from Christmas Designers. Call Tricia at 954-633-2168 to set up an account if you haven't already. They are a good source for things as well.

10. OP
    OP
    Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

Thanks, I may have to kill the teardrops as the husband doesn't want anything mounted into the home at all. maybe instead I can add taller topiaries.

I like the ribbon idea. We think alike :) I was wondering if I could use a B/0 light string to match (if I can find one) atop a wide ribbon. This may be something I need to play with in the off season to get the look i see in my head though instead of a hot mess!