• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Lawn Boy 22271/ Toro 22156 21" update

greenerman

LawnSite Member
So I cut my lawn today with my new Lawn Boy commercial. Ah the pacific northwest! Anyway it far exceeded my expectations. The grass was about 6 inches long in some places while a few other areas still about 3 to 4 inches and not too dense. I mulched it all effortlessly. Way better than my HRC 216, and so light. It's like riding a 500 dirtbike and then riding a 125. The fast groundspeed issue was'nt a problem with the way the bail operates. The controls are great. It's just so much easier to use than the Honda. I really didn't expect it to make such a difference. Also a lot less wheel spin when starting off. So now I will have to see how she stands up over time.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
How tall did you cut/mulch?

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
At what cutting height?

yamaha101

LawnSite Member
Is anyone having this problem with the Toro 22156? My new one, from day one, seems to bog-down way too easily in light wet conditions, or dry high grass, when trying to cut it about half. All you hear is this scary, what sounds like metal on metal, “kunk, kunk, kunk”. Clear the grass, it goes away. Sometimes there's no grass to clear. It doesn’t seem strong enough to mulch properly. I tried the original blade and Toro’s version of the GatorBlade. I also raised the rpm slightly, with no noticeable difference. I haven’t tried bagging yet, so I don’t know if there’s a difference either. My father has the Lawn-Boy Walk Power Mower, 3-N-1, Self Propelled, Sens-A-Speed RWD, Honda GCV160. Essentially, it’s the same mower except for the steel deck and handle. I’m going to try his out.

Any thoughts?

Lawn Dog2001

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have had my Toro Commercial 22156 for 3 years now. I can honestly say after 3 years of commercial use that it is by far the best push mower I have ever had. I have had zero issues with the mower. The cut is fantastic. I have never had it bog down. But I dont try to cut 8 inches of grass down to 2 while mulching in one pass either. Any mower is going to bog (break) down doing that.

My only complaint may be that the tension needs to be adjusted more often than I would like for the drive engage. Another complaint would be that the drive belt is a real pain in the arse to replace. Other than that, routine maintenance like oil, filter and plugs is all I have had to do.

BillWil

LawnSite Member
I have heard good things about the Lawn Boy 22271 here in Michigan. Cuts the spring grass well and isn't nearly as heavy as the Honda 216.

I stooped using the Honda Commercial because of the weight, and difficulty getting parts. Went with a Snapper Commercial which now has 4 years on it. Parts are easier to obtain and I haven't experienced problems with the drive. I'll be sure to look at the Lawn Boy 22271 went replacement time comes.

944own

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have heard good things about the Lawn Boy 22271 here in Michigan. Cuts the spring grass well and isn't nearly as heavy as the Honda 216.

I stooped using the Honda Commercial because of the weight, and difficulty getting parts. Went with a Snapper Commercial which now has 4 years on it. Parts are easier to obtain and I haven't experienced problems with the drive. I'll be sure to look at the Lawn Boy 22271 went replacement time comes.
I'm not sure they make them anymore. It may be hard to find one.
Posted via Mobile Device