Lawn Care has no "Superintendendents"

mdvaden

LawnSite Bronze Member
The fact that Lawnsite displays a banner and link to a Superintendent.com, just brought a thought to mind that residential and commercial landscape / lawn care has no "Superintendents" ... or at least I've never heard the title used.

Tree services don't seem to have Superintendents either.

Mainly just golf courses, and the lead position is almost exclusively named such. Sounds important too, doesn't it ... "Superintendent" ...

Any thoughts on why the title never crossed-over into the skilled strata of landscape maintenance, or why yet so etched in stone at the golf course end?

Golf courses and country clubs is where I started this profession, actually.

WenzelOSLLC

LawnSite Senior Member
Supers are facilities managers. Apartment and office building managers are called supers too. Most lawn care guys don't have a position that would justify the name. A sports complex manager could possibly assume the title if you throw in facilities maintenance and management responsibility.

It also usually refers to a position In the organization who owns/runs such facilities.

Last edited:

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
I agree with wenzel. I know of some colleges and universities that title the head of grounds maintenance as superintendents as well. The title is used for someone who is in charge of the specific site or group of sites that fall under one owner. Superintendents usually work directly for the property owner and are not contractors
Posted via Mobile Device

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
I came up in golf courses too, starting in late 70's. It was a long slow struggle to go from being called greenskeepers to superintendents. Golf course superintendents have a strong trade organization (GCSAA) with state and local chapters. Continuing education is a core part of their purpose. I think of a superintendent as someone who submits and oversees a budget, has some formal education and experience, and is usually responsible to a board of directors or owner, and joins state and national organizations.

I don't know anything about landscaping company structures and customs.

In schools and municipalities the title I see most often is "director" and I think it fits. Here locally I hear "superintendent" for both the person in charge of water and streets departments. I don't know why. Last I knew in Michigan, unions in public schools had a position called "stadium keeper."

Top Forums