1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn care schedule

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Abuccanero, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Abuccanero

Abuccanero LawnSite Member

I seeded our new 1.5 acre lot last fall and put down starter fertilizer. The grass grew well but there is still a wide variety of weeds. I sprayed broad leaf weed killer a few weeks ago and some of the weeds have been killed.

My question is, what is a good schedule for fertilizer and weed control? Most of our neighbors hire their lawn care out but we don't have the money for that and I like doing the work myself. I was told they have six applications each year.

Thank you

2. Abuccanero

We live in southeast Wisconsin.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

1.5 acres is a big lawn. Could be a major expense and a lot of work. I am assuming you do not have a 200 gallon sprayer.
    Wisconsin. So...perhaps crabgrass control in April. Follow up with a weed and feed in June and weed/feed again in fall about 3 weeks before frost.
    The fall treatment done right, will prevent dandelions in the following spring.

4. Abuccanero

I have a 50 gallon sprayer that I use for the liquid broadleaf killer and a push broad spreader.

On my past yard all I would do is broadleaf killer in the spring and use a high N fertilizer in spring and fall. Our neighbors all have really nice manicured yards so I would like to have a similar yard.

What level of NPK for the fertilizers? I know a soil sample is preferred to answer that but I have not done that yet.

5. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Member

If you want to fert twice a year, do both in fall. If you want to do a third do it in early spring.

I'd blanket spray broad leafs 2-3 times a year along with pre-emergent. If you spray twice a year spray right before soil temps get to 50 then again in the fall. Both with pre emergent. If you want to do a third app do it in early spring.

If you have tough grassy weeds left you will have to add an additional app. depending on whats present.

6. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

with NPK I would go with a 25-0-4 variety weed and feed granular due to the size of the yard, drag behind spreader- spot spray weeds as you see them or in the fall... Depending on product selection you might need 4x fertilization treatments it ranges 6-8 weeks per treatment so on a warm year you'll need 4x.

cutting the grass more frequently and proper water will aid in a good looking yard.

you planning for an over seeding this fall? I would drop another round of starter fertilizer either way this fall to really help the new seeds and existing grass get very strong roots. Aeration might also be in the mix depending on the seed germination......In my mind your still in the "building" a lawn phase not the "fixing" a bad lawn

NPK = aka "up" , "down" , "all around" Akaka- "greenablity" -bla -bla bla

7. Abuccanero

Thank you. Yes we are still in the building phase and trying to establish a thick healthy lawn.