Lawn Damage ?

GreenerSide

LawnSite Member
Can anyone tell me what they think this damage is from? Customer moved in last year mid summer, said yard was fine, (hot dry summer last year) and yard has irrigation. This damage is through out the yard and they are large spots. Any help would be appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks like two different types of grass. Tall fescue which survived better and then a lot of bluegrass or ryegrass that remains a lot lower. Just how much did he irrigate last year? Does he have a copy of his water bill?

I think I may see a bit of snowmold in spots--probably snowmold on some patches of rye grass. More brown than usual due to lack of snow. This will take time--south side of house should green up first. A few days of 55 degrees and good soil moisture should bring it around. Get ready--you are going to have a lot of similar calls. Irate. The natives are restless.

The trick is learning how to make money off these calls. Power rake, aeration, seeding, maybe a water soluble fert that works in cold weather (like ammonium sulfate), maybe an organic bacteria and enzyme-type liquid dethatcher.

OP
G

GreenerSide

LawnSite Member
Looks like two different types of grass. Tall fescue which survived better and then a lot of bluegrass or ryegrass that remains a lot lower. Just how much did he irrigate last year? Does he have a copy of his water bill?

I think I may see a bit of snowmold in spots--probably snowmold on some patches of rye grass. More brown than usual due to lack of snow. This will take time--south side of house should green up first. A few days of 55 degrees and good soil moisture should bring it around. Get ready--you are going to have a lot of similar calls. Irate. The natives are restless.

The trick is learning how to make money off these calls. Power rake, aeration, seeding, maybe a water soluble fert that works in cold weather (like ammonium sulfate), maybe an organic bacteria and enzyme-type liquid dethatcher.
Home owner said he water regularly and his yard just went south. Said there seemed to be bare spots last year. So you would recommend power-raking, over-seeding first. I take it stay away from any fertilizers, more specifically the pre emergent especially if over-seeding is the route.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
It's never going to be a real nice lawn with all that tall fescue in it. I would do a complete renovation on it.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
If he will spring for an overseed job that would work out OK--naturally you have to omit crabgrass control. And never believe the homeowner as to how much they watered. In theory if you get the seed in early and add a good shot of starter fert. You can apply crabgrass control after the second mowing, (of new grass).
But if you want to accept the risk--apply the crabgrass control after the first mowing.

OP
G

GreenerSide

LawnSite Member
If he will spring for an overseed job that would work out OK--naturally you have to omit crabgrass control. And never believe the homeowner as to how much they watered. In theory if you get the seed in early and add a good shot of starter fert. You can apply crabgrass control after the second mowing, (of new grass).
But if you want to accept the risk--apply the crabgrass control after the first mowing.
Thank you for the information Riggle.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
But the fescue thing still applies. : )

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member
You know, if he had improper watering practices he could have promoted a number of fungi or diseases that would kind of look like this. With that said, Tall fescue is very drought resistant and if it wasnt watered it would look like this as well. Either way you should be able to get an overseeding out of the deal, weather you power rake or slice seed it.

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
Don't even know where to start. I will say that after this mild winter the only grass I see in NE Ohio that looks like this are the lawns that aren't fed well. It would be nice to see what the lawn will look like at greenup. A suggestion I might have is to look for a few days to a week of warmer weather, mow a good bit of the winter desiccation off and try to get a small shot of ammonia sulfate down weather you spray or spread. Then evaluate what this lawn is capable of being.