Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted here a while back that Lawn Doctor was taking legal action about my business name Yard Doctor Landscaping. No I was not trademarked; that should be the first lesson to you all.

I have advised my lawyer to response to there latest demands and that we will change our name. No, this is not an easy thing for me. 5 years in business and I have never advertised until this last year after I built the nursery. The only thing I advertise is the landscape install end of the business. No I will not lose customers because of a name change. However it is still a pain in the butt. It is just a case of corporate America killing the small business guy. We are no longer an industrial nation. We consume more than we produce and we are riding for a big fall.

Please give me some Ideas on a new name. I do Landscape installs and maintenance but also have pest and irrigation license.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I HATE ALL OF THE MAJOR COMMERCIAL LAWN CARE BUSSINESSES!!!

-Chem Lawn
-Yard Doctor
-Perscription Lawn Services!!! (did work without my mother signing a contract and billed her, j*rks!!!)

They kill us, but sooon....

I will be a fortune 500 company and I will crush them....
(lmao, in my dreams)

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by Ric
Yard Doctor Landscaping.
So do you want to toy with them now??

Yard Medic Landscaping, Lawn Medic Landscaping..........Same but not the same, it changed.

Now question is how do they have the ability to mess with you for yard doctor.

If you want I can change mine to Yard Doctor, and they wont make me change it.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fellows

If I wanted to mess with them I would keep my name. The reason I am caving is because they have more money than I. It is the old golden rule. Gold rules. I will let them have the sand box and I will play on the beach.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Do your name change.

But did you ever try to get your local politician,news commentator, ect... everybody likes a story like this.

I know of a couple businesses that did go up against corporate America, some lost the battle, but won the war. In the downturn of an economy, their businesses are thriving like crazy. People love the David against Goliath story.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TOTALLAWN OF KY

My lawyer tells me if you are registered before the Trademark they can not make you change your name.

My lawyer also came up with the name Yard Dx Landscaping. Dx is medical short hand for Diagnosis. This name is close enough to help keep my current Rep and far enough away to keep everybody happy. People will still call it Doctor.

Also thinking about Dr. with the Rx together. Or DRx

·
Registered
139 Posts
lesson learned here at this site .. this site has helped me alot
i was out of the trade fore 8 years or so to do commercial glazing
so the help here is priceless evan some of the ridicule i read haha

i dont care to much for DRx
good luck i wuold rather take a but wooping then pick another name at this point in the game

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not sure why you are caving in.
After all Victor's secret won against Victoria's Secret. So why cant you prevail when your name isnt even that close?
Find you a lawyer who will do it pro bono.
You know one of those Johnny cockrin dudes.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by KerryB

Find you a lawyer who will do it pro bono.
You know one of those Johnny cockrin dudes.
KerryB

I am not sure whether to laugh or cry at your above post. Johnny Cochran is in California and Pro Bono is Latin, a very dead language, from Cesar's Rome.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You should laugh. Make others wonder what you are up to . lol
The name of my company was the Lawn Doctor till someone asked if I was affiliated with them . So I just changed on my own. But then again I was using their exact name. You are not.

Oh by the way I saw mr C. on the tv yesterday. He was advertising his law firm . lol So apparently he is branching out all over . lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.