• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

lawn edging, each visit?

captaingreen

LawnSite Senior Member
Just wondering how often you guys use an edger. I'm talking about cool season turf, fescue/bluegrass. Do you edge each visit, every other, or turn your trimmer on its side. Some of my competition edges every other visit, they leave a well defined line that seems to last. Just wanting some opinions, thank you.

Kelly & Sons

LawnSite Member
I cut mainly St Augustine grass, but... in the winter months, I only edge every other week. (i use an edgit) Summer months though, it is Every single week!

sildoc

LawnSite Silver Member
As needed. In the peak of growing season I hit it almost every time. In the summer and winter I can go 2-4 weeks before hitting it. My main concern is does it look good. If yes I save some time and skip, if not then I hit it with the edger. Quality.

dkeisala

LawnSite Senior Member
I edge every visit (string trimmer) April through October because cleints request it but then ***** because their edges get to wide. Going to buy a stick edger this year to minimize that.

Kelly & Sons

LawnSite Member
Originally posted by dkeisala
but then ***** because their edges get to wide. Going to buy a stick edger this year to minimize that.
I've had 2-3 people b*tch about that (being to wide) so then I use a stick edger. One thing that I Like about the "wider" edge, is that it allows the water to run off the driveways better...

OP
captaingreen

captaingreen

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for all of the replies fella's. I think cool vs. warm season definitely makes a difference by the replies, especially during the summer when cool season turf begins to slow down in growth. Is it spring yet?