1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Mower Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drewskee032, May 8, 2011.

1. drewskee032

drewskee032 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Last year I mowed about 20 lawns a week and used an eXmark Turf Tracer HP (48"). This year, I'm already at 30. So, I'm thinking that I will purchase another mower as a back up. I have two brothers that are going to help me. One would mow with me and the other would weed-whip. The problem is that all of my customers live on hills. So, I need a backup mower that works well on hills (the reason why I bought my Turf Tracer). I really can't afford to spend any more than $4,000. Any suggestions on a mower I should purchase? Any type of mower I should specifically stay away from? Like, should I only be looking at walk behinds, or would I be safe with getting a ZTR?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Drew

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Hills = walk behind. 3 guys to do 30 lawns a week? You should be able to do that by yourself unless they are all big. If everything is hilly I would want a hydro walk behind but i dont think you are going to find a new one for $4000 or less.

Right this second I am taking care of 70 lawns a week by myself but my lawns are in groups and my daily route is no more than 15 to 20 miles a day.

3. drewskee032

drewskee032 LawnSite Member

Ha, the difference is this is only part time for me. I'm a freshmen college student and am already pretty busy. My brothers are high school students and cover for me during the fall and spring.

But yeah, I was definitely thinking a hydro walk behind. I absolutely love my eXmark Turf Tracer Hp. Do you think I could get away with a 48" fixed deck? Maybe the eXmark viking?

Thanks
    Drew

4. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u LawnSite Senior Member

Put 500-1000 and fix up ur tthp...if u maintain things properly you don't need another mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device