1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

LAWN Mowing***Daily Afternoon "Rant" Thread....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by larryinalabama, Dec 19, 2016.

1. paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

So you buy an item, I take it that is just for business items ? So you buy an item you are taxed. At the end of the year you pay taxes again. How many years ? How about depreciation ? How do they come up with a number ? Is it a flat rate for X amount of business equipment or a percentage of original price. I find this very strange.

Property taxes in the G.T.A. average house 5-6 thousand and goes up from there.

RussellB likes this.
  2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I’m not sure how they calculate it. I paid $65 last year for equipment and trailers. Does not include vehicles. My truck was something like $450.

Cam15, sjessen and Doc8406 like this.
  3. JoeCheap

JoeCheap LawnSite Member

yes. It does get put on a schedule and depreciates. And it's not just business assets. We pay property taxes every year on vehicles and boats and trailers. That's plus the sales tax we paid when it was purchased. Crazy. But our sales tax, in general, is much lower than other states that don't have property taxes. I guess you're going to pay one way or another.
    Heck, there's one county nearby that tries to tax a car dealership with property tax on their inventory every year! And the dealership moves all their cars to another country on Dec 31 and brings it back on Jan 2. That's cheaper than paying their tax. It's been in court for years now. Lol

RussellB and Doc8406 like this.
  4. Ma&Pa

Ma&Pa LawnSite Member

%$&*#@ing rain:angry::wall::realmad:.
    It's ALL WEEK LONG where i'm at.
    And it's humid. Stupid humid, sticky. Awful stuff.

/endrant

Cam15, Doc8406 and RussellB like this.
  5. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Spring like temps from right before Christmas to now getting me all ready to mow and realizing mowing is still 2 months away. :realmad:

6. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Fanatic

I can only speak for my state of RI and local town: The first time we buy any piece of equipment it is taxed by the state at the point of sale (regular sales tax).

Then the local town want their yearly Tangible Personal Property tax on anything that is under business or makes someone money.

They charge a tax of $12 on every$1000 of the value of said equipment.
    They depreciate the item 10% every year afterwards. This goes on for 8 years, then they have a separate category for 8 years and anything older.

Ma&Pa likes this.
  7. paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

I would like to you try to pull that off with a customer. I already paid for the service................................................. well
    Try doing that to one of your customers, charge them 8 times for the same job. See how well that would fly. I don't know how government gets away with these things .

JoeCheap and Ma&Pa like this.
  8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Why would anyone try that with their customers?

It’s the government, that's how they get away with it.

Newsflash, there are 2 things that are certain in life - taxes and death.

Cam15, sjessen and RussellB like this.
  9. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

People that don't know any better allow them to get away with it! We the people need to step up and be heard. The government is trying to surpress the public into a communist country. They want to control the people at any cost. It reminds me of these people running ads on fb for a "free" pair of ear buds just for trying them out, just pay a small shipping and handling fee! Seriously? It's NOT free if you want me to pay ANYTHING for it! You first want to see if it's worth the small "fee" to get it. As you look, they say you can order more than one but when you do, the shipping charges double! Get three and the price triples!

paulsgrass likes this.
  10. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

I missed the memo. Why isn't Charles on here?