1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

LAWN Mowing***Daily Afternoon "Rant" Thread....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by larryinalabama, Dec 19, 2016.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, I see. Bummer. When does your mowing start?

2. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

Early April. Last year was second week of April.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Do you spend March getting mulch out?

Cam15 likes this.
  4. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

i was seriously considering a plow for the truck this winter to try to make up some lost revenue from the drought last summer. at this point i am real glad i didnt pull the trigger on it. weve had less than 4 inches of combined snow the whole winter. never more than a 1/2 inch at a time. didnt even bother with salt, the road temps are so warm. i am not one to believe every bit of the global warming/climate change thing, but i think the weather patterns have changed in the last few years.

JoeCheap likes this.
  5. JoeCheap

JoeCheap LawnSite Member

I almost did the same thing. Except my plow money went in to a repair for that truck. We've had no snow to speak of. Maybe one dusting that was gone by afternoon.
    I did read where the sun is supposed to be going into a cooler cycle and the article said temps will drop maybe by a degree globally. That could be pretty significant. I'm def not a 'global warming' guy, but I do think we have had climate change. We don't have that many weather records compared to the age of the earth (100s of years vs 1000s-millions of yrs) and so who's to say we aren't in a natural cycle of the earth? We did once have an ice age and all the ice melted (before there were cars, industry, etc.).....

bluetruck and Doc8406 like this.
  6. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

i feel that the concept of "man made global warming" is a money thing.. and about other social aspects.. the way i usually put it is

I believe in climate change, it changes every day.. but as to man made global warming. nope!

7. flybynite

Yes, I have 3 big jobs waiting. It's really wet and the clients want to wait until closer to spring.

8. flybynite

It's a very solid polar vortex that is the cause. It's not breaking up. When it does, cold fronts drop down into the states and dump snow.

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

skunk rant today!
    my son's dog, the staffie, flew off the patio Tuesday before dawn.
    came back in, and before I knew what had happened, she rolled her face all over the bedroom carpet, nice.
    I think she took a direct hit to the side of the face, her mouth still smells!
    been giving her shots of v8 juice, (which she likes, go figure.)

Cam15, hort101, RussellB and 2 others like this.
  10. flybynite

It's like a hurricane spinning over the North Pole. When the outside edge of the mass breaks off it send large pieces of freezing cold air across parts of the north northeast region. If nothing disturbs the mass it stays up north. It could cause problems in the next couple months. We could even see snow in late March and as far out as April. Then we'll see a drastic change by the middle of April where the snow will be melting from the 60+ degree days that follow. Like someone flicked a light switch!

hort101 and sjessen like this.