1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

LAWN Mowing***Daily Afternoon "Rant" Thread....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by larryinalabama, Dec 19, 2016.

1. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

That was my biggest fear that one of the 5 ankle biters we had would get caught up with a skunk.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

I hope the "we" you refer to doesn't include the "us" in SW ohio. lol

"We" shall see.

Cam15 and bluetruck like this.
  3. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

totally agree, and for the relatively short time i have been alive compared to the weather records, i feel like there are cycles of hot/cold and wet/dry and anywhere in the middle and it seems like it is about a 15-20 year cycle, where i live we are well into the hot/wet cycle. it still doesnt explain the record breaking though.

JoeCheap likes this.
  4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Here’s a whole day of rants:

Truck wouldn’t start, battery was dead. So I jumped it, no problem. Pulled up about 300’ to my filling station and turned the truck off(gauge was reading 14 volts). Got the tank filled/mixed and wouldn’t ya know, battery still dead. Put the jump box on it and nothing but clicking. So I jerked the solenoid out and went and bought a new one. Still wouldn’t start but I did get it jump started. Went to the gas station to fill up and again it wouldn’t start. By now I’m pretty pissed. The battery is only 2 years old, so I jerk it out and have my wife run me down to Auto Zone. Too low to test so they charge it(takes an hour). In the meantime I go home and take the battery out of my Jeep and put it in my truck, drive it home and drop the trailer. AZ calls and the battery is toast. So I run down there and they replace it(still under warranty = free). The alternator tests fine so I go back and hook up the trailer and head off to spray pre em on about 3 acres(2 locations). Knock them both out no issues but when I go to leave, the shifter starts acting weird. Won’t really go into D and there isn’t any tension on the lever. I make it to a gas station a few blocks away and check it out. The fricken shifter cable broke in half somehow and just happened to be in 2nd when this happened. So I had to crawl under and use my hand to kick the tranny into D in order to make it home. Guess what? The dang cable has been discontinued but O’Reilly was able to cross ref one that might work(same style just hope the length works). I’ll be spending my day off tomorrow, replacing the shifter cable(if it will work). Oh and I noticed I have a headlight out as well. Good times!

A 3 hour day turned into 8 hours real quick and the temps were dropping all day. On the bright side, I did get what I needed done and I have a day(2 if needed) to get the cable fixed. Hopefully this is the 1 day per year that just goes to sh1t. I’ll take it in February over May anyday.

Cam15, JoeCheap and hort101 like this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Good news is you have a new battery, your solenoid and your alternator works. And, your transmission cable should last as long as you own the truck. Good times!!

Actually, I feel your pain.

Cam15, Doc8406, hort101 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

:realmad::realmad::realmad: it ain't spring yet! :realmad::realmad::realmad:

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

This year, we didn't really have "winter" either....perhaps the mini ice age that the scientific community is predicting will be a good thing.

Cam15, JoeCheap and Doc8406 like this.
  8. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

As long as we are not turned into a new age Paleolithic :wall

sjessen likes this.
  9. JoeCheap

JoeCheap LawnSite Member

We can just shift into snow removal as a more primary source of income... Lol

10. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

careful there with the snow removal reference. lol

JoeCheap and Cam15 like this.