• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Lawn Overseeding

Ricky

LawnSite Member
I live in W. Ky I need to overseed my lawn. I can rent a power seeder that verti-cuts and has a hopper for seed that it dispenses, or i can rent a core aerator. Which will get the best results? I will be planting fescue.

Thanks
In His (lawn) Service

65hoss

LawnSite Fanatic
Personally, I prefer the aerating. Cutting the slits seems to make pretty little rows in the lawn, not a thick lush lawn.

FIREMAN

LawnSite Senior Member
DO BOTH, AS THEY REALLY AREN'T INTENDED TO FIX THE SAME PROBLEMS....AERATING FIXES COMPACTION....AND SLICE SEEDING HELPS SEAT THE SEEDS AND GET THEM DOWN TO THE SOIL...

OP
R

Ricky

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone had experience with both.

Ricky

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
Use an aerator. It will be faster than a slit seeder, plus you will releave soil compaction

GroundKprs

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you can only do one operation, better result will come from slitseeding. Since seeding success depends on seed/soil contact, core aerating, then slitseeding would give you the best germination. When coring, do not just make a single pass, make 2 to 4 passes - as many as you can without damaging the surface. The more soil brought up, the better.

tpirobert

LawnSite Member
Another vote for use both, slit seeeder and aerator. When you slit seed make two passes at 45 degree angle to each other. Just put half of total seed needed in each pass. This helps eleminate the "row" look when seed germinates. I have found the most important thing is to tell customer to lightly water 2-3 times a day, or pay you to. It's all a waste of time and money and your reputation if the newly germinating seed dries out and dies. I'll be doing the same this coming week. Looking forward to back ache and $$$ in pocket. Good luck!

OP
R

Ricky

LawnSite Member

Well, I went with the Bluebird overseeder. I dispensed less than half one way, then went over it again at a 45 degree angle. That left about 1/4 of the recommended amount that I spread with a Cyclone seeder. ( I thought this would be better than running out.) I also went with "Falcon two" fescue. The darker color sold me. I am looking forward to mowing something other than WEEDS! Thanks for the help .

Ricky

In His (lawn) Service