Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Eastern Maryland (Salisbury) and I am in the process of re-seeding my lawn. I sprayed a week ago with 75% Gly and killed just about everything. I waited a week, and sprayed again with 75% Gly on Wednesday. I wanted to get the vine grass totally dead. I didn't have that much, but it spreads!!
I have a JD plugger, and a JD slit seeder with a hopper, and just bought a lawn roller. (18"X36"-390lbs filled) I believe I have all the right components for a nice re-seed, but am unsure as to what I do first. Here are my thoughts....Please correct me if I have the steps backwards...! Thanks!
Next Wednesday I will get my lawn pretty wet, and plug the hell out of the lawn (15 per ft) and fill in the small holes and uneven areas with topsoil I bought. Then I will lay down my lime and starter fertilizer. (10-10-20)
Then lay down my seed 8lbs per 1000 sq ft.
Now, I am a little confused. I guess I will roll the lawn with my poly roller and this will help "push" the seed and the "turds" from the plugger into the soil.

OR should I lay down the lime/fertilizer FIRST, THEN plug like hell and finally lay down my seed and roll it last? I am a little confused as to the order I should take the steps...?
I am working on about 1/2 acre of lawn. The plugger, roller, and slit seeder are all tow behinds. I will be using my bobcat zt mower to be doing this. I also have some possible heavy rain coming up next week from the hurricane. How late should I wait to re-seed? I think I have plenty of time.
I haven't even decided what seed I will use yet. I read up on the Pennington with mycorrizae, but it's a little expensive for my tastes. ($55 for 20lbs) Is it really worth it?
In the past years, I have used the following (it has been quite a few):
Southern States Mid-Atlantic Plus Mixture
31%Desire Tall Mixture
31%Piedmount Tall Fescue
30%Falcon 3 Tall Fescue
5.5%Bluechip Kentucky Bluegrass

Southern States Mid-Atlantic Tall Fescue Blend
32%Falcon 3 Tall Fescue
32%Southpaw Tall Fescue
32%Arid Tall Fescue
These have 85% germination

I have also used:
Lesco Transition Blend
34%Padre Tall Fescue
33%Bravo Tall Fescue
30%Biltmore Tall Fescue
This is a 90-93% Germination

Southern States Statesman Tall Fescue Blend
33%Southern Choice 2 Tall Fescue
32%Southpaw Tall Fescue
32%Falcon 3 Tall Fescue

Southern States Tall Fescue Blend
32%Cavalcade Tall Fescue
32%Paraiso Tall Fescue
32%Falcon 3 Tall Fescue

I have had more success with the Southern States Blends of seed. Surprisingly, the Lesco didn't take off as well, but seems to be alright. Everyone else in my neighborhood has been saying good things about the Southern States Mid-Atlantic.
I DO have irrigation, and have basic/advanced knowledge with running it.
Is there any other information that I have not provided? I would appreciate any help/tips you can provide. I want to work on filling the small holes/low areas this week, and start seeding next week.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Id really like to know why you dont have a banging yard with all of those different kinds of grasses......I think your procedure must be flawed.....I was also wondering do you have a license to do such work? you do know that to apply any herbicides in MD, DE, VA for the purpose of commerse you need a licences right?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only used Round-up.
I am also a consumer and I am doing this for my own personal use-not someone else.
This has not all been planted at once. I have done it over the past 4 years. I overseed EVERY year. This is the first year I have killed off my front lawn and opted to re-plant.
Do people have to kill it off every 4-5 years? It seems to get out of hand every few years, and I cannot control it. (I mean weeds) The vine grass starts to come up and I cannot control it, and I have had annual bluegrass that spreads across my front yard more, and more.......I finally opted to kill it and start over clean-at least for a few more years!!
Thanks for your help. I need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.