Lawn renovation… what happened to my lawn?

Anthony B

LawnSite Member
Hey all, so we got work done on our house which caused us to redo our lawn. It went great at first but now the lawn looks awful. I used Pennington perennial ryegrass and proscape 20-0-5 fert. Definitely used enough seed, but 2 weeks later I used the rest of the fertilizer when only rated for half the bag. Did I burn the lawn? Here are some pictures. What do you recommend to get it back? It doesn’t grow and lost all its color.

Attachments

• AAD19E20-0D0F-4E51-BFCD-2E1629BCB83B.jpeg
    AAD19E20-0D0F-4E51-BFCD-2E1629BCB83B.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 66
  • AD44529D-A4EB-4D03-9345-92BA1B664CB7.jpeg
    AD44529D-A4EB-4D03-9345-92BA1B664CB7.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 68
  • F58EC441-18BA-443D-AFCE-85446A820ACC.jpeg
    F58EC441-18BA-443D-AFCE-85446A820ACC.jpeg
    746.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 25DB9533-32AF-4B16-A233-705F1678F07B.jpeg
    25DB9533-32AF-4B16-A233-705F1678F07B.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 62

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Something's not quite right with the timeline because there's no way it would have looked that good in two weeks as is shown in the pictures with the green grass.

If it went from seeded to that good in 2 weeks I'm Blown Away by that seed LOL

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't fully understand your timeline, but if the lawn started browning out very shortly after the fertilizer application there is a good chance you did burn it. If that is the problem you'll have to water very liberally for a week or so and hope for the best.

Also, how often have you been watering?

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
The reason I initially asked about the watering schedule is a lot of people will water really heavily at first, and then as soon as the seed comes up they cut back significantly on the watering and the seed doesn't succeed.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
The reason I initially asked about the watering schedule is a lot of people will water really heavily at first, and then as soon as the seed comes up they cut back significantly on the watering and the seed doesn't succeed.

Lack of watering is a large reason why I hate doing seeding jobs. People don't water properly then ***** about the grass not germinating or filling in properly.

I did a seeding job for a dope in spring. I explained the importance of proper watering and even gave him a printout on proper watering and care of seedlings. 3 weeks after we did the work he complained he had very little germination. We reseeded the area and went a little heavier on the seed mulch. Gave him instructions again on how to water. I checked his lawn every few days to see if watering was being done or if the failure could be caused by something else. The soil was always bone dry when I checked it. The lawn was frequently so dry the soil was like dust. I told him that he is not watering or not watering sufficiently and he said he would water more.

Fast forward to last Friday, he is complaining and threatening to give me a negative review because the seeded areas did not fill in fully.

If I had a dollar for every time a homeowner didn't water properly I would have been retired by now.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Lack of watering is a large reason why I hate doing seeding jobs. People don't water properly then ***** about the grass not germinating or filling in properly.

I did a seeding job for a dope in spring. I explained the importance of proper watering and even gave him a printout on proper watering and care of seedlings. 3 weeks after we did the work he complained he had very little germination. We reseeded the area and went a little heavier on the seed mulch. Gave him instructions again on how to water. I checked his lawn every few days to see if watering was being done or if the failure could be caused by something else. The soil was always bone dry when I checked it. The lawn was frequently so dry the soil was like dust. I told him that he is not watering or not watering sufficiently and he said he would water more.

Fast forward to last Friday, he is complaining and threatening to give me a negative review because the seeded areas did not fill in fully.

If I had a dollar for every time a homeowner didn't water properly I would have been retired by now.
That's why the few that I do includes me setting sprinklers on timers.

Delmarva Keith

LawnSite Senior Member
Young grass has a shallow root system — just hasn’t had time to grow deep. Roots cook (the proteins denature just like an egg gets cooked) if they get too hot. The surface of the ground gets very hot in Summer sun. Young grass and Summer heat is almost always a bad combination.

Reseed in late Summer to early Fall — after the Summer heat breaks in your area. It will look great.

Top Forums