Lawn renovation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Sep 4, 2018.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

At a house a few blocks from me the lawn turned completely brown, about August 23rd, 2018. I suspect it was treated with Roundup. I will watch as it probably will be completely reseeded soon. I do not know who is doing this reseed job. I did not see any pesticide applied marker flag. Weather has been warm (about 87) and rainy, about 1.5 inches of rain in the last week. Soil in my neighborhood is sandy.
    I don't know why a strip was seeded in the foreground.

SA400011.JPG

SA400012.JPG

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen a few lawns over the years that were sprayed with commercial gly products when a home owner mixed up his 2.5 gallon jugs he bought at the ag supplier.

3. RigglePLC

No photograph--it looks the same this week. There is no sign of any seed or soil preparation activity By Sept 8, 1018. The old grass has laid flat. It appears that it would be suited for hydroseed without any more preparation. Weather has cooled off, only 76 today. I think they should have started about a month ago--when the soil was still warm, (about 8 weeks before frost).
    Now the first frost is due in about 4 to 5 weeks. If the seed takes 2 weeks to germinate--and the temperatures are getting a bit lower every week. There remain only about 2 weeks of growth time. Growth is slow after frost. Growth is almost zero when temperatures are below 50.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. RigglePLC

I walked by this lawn again yesterday. After a more careful look I could see that it had two doors and addresses. Probably a duplex rental property. I stopped to talk to the two young men who were sitting on the front porch. But they did not speak much English; I don't speak French. I did not learn much. Getting late--it should be reseeded very soon in my opinion.

KerbDMK likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

Sept 20. Still no sign of new seed. I don't understand why they are waiting so long. Temp 82 and heavy rain today. But cool weather is expected--low of 40 in the next week.

6. RigglePLC

Today Sept 24, 18, it was clear the lawn was raked to remove most of the dead grass with a compact tractor. Then it was seeded. Then parts were covered with straw mats retained by thin plastic mesh to protect from wind. Rain expected tonight. It appears the straw mat cover was only partially completed.

SA400003.JPG

SA400004.JPG

hort101 likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

September 29th. Raked and seeded--no tillage. Looks about the same. No seed germinated. No picture. Now I see the lawn has irrigation; it was running. However rain is expected tomorrow. Temperatures: Low 41; high 58.

I suspect the straw mat is legally required to prevent soil from washing into the road and therefore into storm drains. Like silt dams around construction sites. Not sure. Anyone have to deal with this regulation?

8. RigglePLC

Today October 4th, after 10 days--new grass sprouts became visible. The new grass was up to a maximum of about 3 inches. Slightly better under the straw mats. Temperature today was similar to that of last week, 42 lows and 58 as highs. Irrigation was running and rain showers were common.

SA400003 (2).JPG

hort101 likes this.
  9. RigglePLC

At a property a few blocks from me. The grass was killed and after tractor-raking, seed was sown about September 24, 2018. Probably broadcast. Not sure if raked-in. Erosion blankets were placed near the road. At 3 weeks the tallest grass blades were about 5 inches tall. Weather has turned cool; 52 today and frost expected in two days.

SA400081.JPG

SA400082.JPG

KerbDMK likes this.
  10. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be a pretty late seed date for Minneapolis and I’m sure somewhat late for you as well. It will be interesting to see how it survives one of your winters.