1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn renovations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ocutter, Jul 9, 2000.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be estimating a lawn renovation for a level 3900 s.f. commercial property soon. I'll be testing the soil, "round- up" the weeds (which makes up the entire area), thatching, aerating, fertilizing, and liming. Who has a concrete way of estimating this type of project?

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

First off, don't forget about seeding or sodding!! Thatching, Fertilizing and Aerating a lawn full of round-up won't grow you the best grass!!<p>You should estimate anyjob you do the same. By the hour.<p>You should know your overhead cost per hour, add that to your profit per hour, plus wages per hour, plus mat'ls, etc. Estimate like you would a regular lawn maintenance job, break it down and add it all up.<p>If you mean how you know how much time it will take, depends how fast you and your workers are, and on the quality and size of your equipment.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

The area is small and I would bid by sq ft. I recommend using an arevator if at all possible. When you use round-up and kill all of the grass, you obviously have nothing. When you plug with an aerator the grass will mainly grow thin with the plug pattern, I call this a &quot;Hair Club for Men&quot; lawn. Using an aeravator and apply seed at 3 pounds per 1000 before and after the aeravation will grow a thick lawn with no pattern to it. I've used this for 3 years now and have had great results. Below are photos of a lawn I killed with round-up and renovated, $45.00 per 1000 sf, it was 6500 sf so I billed $292.50. Supplies were 40 pounds seed and starter, so you can see my cost was around $65.00 and it took about 1.5 hours total, or $151.00 per hour. Today the lawn is still the nicest on the street, even with the drought.<br>[​IMG]

4. Nice shrubs!!

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

LOL Lawrence, yea whats the deal with the shrubs?

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

They got you good Kirby!!!

7. BRET

BRET LawnSite Member

HEY KIRBY/ WHAT TYPE OF BLADES ARE YOU USING TO STRIPE THAT NICE WITH YOUR GREAT DANES. WE CAN NOT GET THOSE RESULTS. WHATS UP , BRET

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Ha Ha Ha...I don't maintain the lawn, I just renovated the lawn, not the scrubs, I mean shrubs! I mowed it the first time for the photo and as a thank you to the customer. The blades are sharp gator blades mowing at 4&quot;, in tall fescue.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn