Lawn repair shop closing

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
just saw an old repair shop that's been around at least 20+ years(remember my dad going there)closed and occupied with antiques.never shoped there but remember they serviced all models and sold several brands.dont remember witch just know it wasn't Toro/exmark.is this common in your areas? this is a city of 70,000+ and there is only one more shop(exmark)who has in my opinion bad service.do people just fix their own?find somebody who does it on side?home depot/lowes replacable mowers?rise of battery powered equipment?Im lucky to have a good dealer in my town of 30,000(actually two) who are good honest people.just curious if this is common or will become a trend.doesnt make sense considering there are thousands of people with a lawnmower and a truck.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
The internet is a wonderful thing......With just a few clicks you can order any thing from a pizza to *ussy and have it come right to your door. That is what is killing the brick and mortar businesses.

And we do all our own repairs too......

Greencuts518

LawnSite Fanatic
just saw an old repair shop that's been around at least 20+ years(remember my dad going there)closed and occupied with antiques.never shoped there but remember they serviced all models and sold several brands.dont remember witch just know it wasn't Toro/exmark.is this common in your areas? this is a city of 70,000+ and there is only one more shop(exmark)who has in my opinion bad service.do people just fix their own?find somebody who does it on side?home depot/lowes replacable mowers?rise of battery powered equipment?Im lucky to have a good dealer in my town of 30,000(actually two) who are good honest people.just curious if this is common or will become a trend.doesnt make sense considering there are thousands of people with a lawnmower and a truck.
Its known to cause cancer in the state of California :eek::laugh:..just kidding

OP
N

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
My Toro dealer also sells ego and services them IF they ever have problems,big if once warranty is done.i asked why he's selling battery equipment if it could put him out of business and he laughed.i think most of his sales/service can survive with farm/tractor service.but for those running 21's in there area I think dealers can become obsolete,since you can order online anyways.dont particularly like dealers anyway,but this is a good guy and I actually pay extra for some stuff at his shop just to support him.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I worked in a small mower shop years ago. They have grown tremendously carrying exmark, stihl and walker. Getting mechanics is always issue, their head mechanic is now a service manager like at a car dealership. Keeping salesmen is tough too because construction equip and ag has so much more earning potential.

People buy garbage big box mowers and bring them to this shop and whine about the repair price. That's the biggest downer about the business people buy it somewhere else and expect this place to stand behind it. Still, they do a good business. I order as much online as possible though because their markup isn't just a little high, it's a lot high. And they're often out of common parts like blades or belt for a 60 inch exmark.