1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Lawn roller

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by watatrp, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. watatrp

    watatrp LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 511

    I usually don't do lawn rolling but have a client that would like it to be done to remove some ruts from a reroofing job on her house. Where can I find a cost effective roller to buy? I will be pulling it with my Turf Tiger.
  2. procut

    procut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,852

    Try a home improvment warehouse, ie. Home Depot, Lowes, ect. Also, I might hunt around for a used one, but it would probably be difficult ti find this time of year.
  3. Kate Butler

    Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 640

    I have 4 clients who, every Spring, need to have ruts repaired on their lawns. Most are caused by snowplowing where the plowblade digs into the turf (and often involve stone or gravel that also needs to be removed). Some are caused by service trucks (propane, etc..) driving on the grass when they shouldn't (truck too heavy, soil too wet, or both). I own a lawn roller and have found (for most of these jobs) that it makes more sense (and costs the clients less) to fill the ruts with topsoil and reseed. If the ruts are not too deep and the displaced 'edges' of the ruts not too much higher than the surrounding turf, a roller could work. But, if the displaced soil is dried out and hardpacked, it's going to take some chopping with a rake or hoe to loosen it up enough for a roller to do the job - in which case you might as well fill 'em and reseed after the displaced soil/sod if dispersed.
  4. yrdandgardenhandyman

    yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest
    Messages: 953

    If it's a one time or a spot job, just rent one. I can rent a water fill 48" for $10.00 a day.

Share This Page