Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help................. I am sick and tired of spending so much time in front of the computer invoicing and scheduling jobs. We are currently using gopher pro, and it is so tedious to add new people to the schedule mid way or part way through the season. In the spring we have to handwrite our service agreements, and look up each customer price, and address for the service agreement. It takes several days to do this with two people!!!

I am not trying to down gopher by any means, but I feel it is not best suited for our applications. I however do like the bar code feature that it has, that deffinetly saves time.

I have read many threads about different software out there, but didn't know if there is a "perfect software" for what we all do. I don't mind spending the money on another program, but would like to have a fairly easy learning curve, and possibly be able to move all of our customers over to it this winter.

Thanks
John..

·
Registered
2,566 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My experience with Gopher is much different. I have all my customers prices set up in the software, and at the end of the month, I hit a button, and it prints out all the invoices.

It takes about 30 seconds to put in a new customer. You just have to make sure that you use the schedule the way its supposed to be used.

The only thing that takes me a few minutes is inputing one time jobs like cleanups, ect, as I have to set up one time customers in the system also, but I can't imagine a software thats going to be different for a one time, unique priced job. I like that I set all my one time customers up in the system, because I can use it as a database for sending out postcard, ect.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I am currently using an ACCESS database set up by my wife. It does everything I need at this point but I am growing and I think I would be better off with a software package of some type. Real Green is Real Nice and Real Expensive. So much of what is out there does not really match what I need. I leave invoices with customers at the time of service. I don't bill at the end of the month. I don't mow or do landscaping so I don't need work orders with list of materials and time spent on this job and that. Last I heard, Real Green was $5000. It's probably gone up since then. There's just not much out there that I feel matches what I need.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Hi All-
I am using groundskeeper, their link is in the upper left. Anyway up to 10,000 customers, they sell the preprinted inv cheap. Easy to use. It has a contract option where you create a price say to aerate a customer, it fills everything in, you send it to the customer, boom easy quick upsells. Billing is easy. I use to use clip and q-books. I like this better. If you dont have the money to buy it only around 300 or 400.00 , they will bill your cc over 3 months. Good luck

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am currently using an ACCESS database set up by my wife. It does everything I need at this point but I am growing and I think I would be better off with a software package of some type. Real Green is Real Nice and Real Expensive. So much of what is out there does not really match what I need. I leave invoices with customers at the time of service. I don't bill at the end of the month. I don't mow or do landscaping so I don't need work orders with list of materials and time spent on this job and that. Last I heard, Real Green was $5000. It's probably gone up since then. There's just not much out there that I feel matches what I need.
I too am using an Access database application. I took a programming class, and integrated MapPoint into it now I can route just like the guys who spend $1000+ on their software.

Access isn't that hard to learn, and if you have some time in the winter to read a book, you have time to build an Access database that will give the exact capability you need.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
My biggest problem with it would be having to rebuild if my computer crashes. I back up the info, but that's all I have...records. It would be a nightmare to have to go through and set up all the processes and reports again. That's why I'd like a software program(disk)...as a safety net.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Been with Quick books Pro since 1996.
Works great with Microsoft Word and Excel.

Route my work by appling Rt.#'s and Stop #'s to each account a then exporting info to Excel to schedule the work.

QB is inexpensive,handles all accounting etc. And doesn't lockup when they want me to upgrade. ie:Realgreen.

·
Registered
711 Posts
We have been using Real Green Systems for about the last six years. Yes it is expensive and there are fees that will go on for eternity as the program is up graded constantly. The program does work well, but like anything it is far from problem free and learning how to use it is an ongoing process. Real Green Systems becomes a partner in your operation that you pay well. The software also requires you to use their invoices, envelopes etc... to use the system.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input. I will look at the listed software, and see what would suit our needs best. I have read many threads about real green software, and it sure seems like people complain about the cost & fees associated with updates. I would think if you spend that much $$ for a program, they would give you life time updates. I can also see rg's point that once the sale is done, what would be the incentive to make the program better or fix bugs in it.

John..

·
Registered
516 Posts
My biggest problem with it would be having to rebuild if my computer crashes. I back up the info, but that's all I have...records. It would be a nightmare to have to go through and set up all the processes and reports again. That's why I'd like a software program(disk)...as a safety net.
Saving an Access database is as simple as saving a Word document. I have two redundant copies of my database, with another at carbonite.com. If my home catches fire, and my computer is destroyed, along with all my disks. I will be able to restore my operation within 1 hour of securing a new computer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.