• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Lawn striping and blade sharpening

JLL25

LawnSite Member
Just curious what others do when mowing a lawn, do you run the edge of your deck an inch or so over? And when you are done what kind of path do you take back to the trailer? I usually mow in a way that I finish closest to where I am parked, but sometimes if my turn arounds are noticeable I will run around the perimeter to hide them.

And your blades, do you sharpen them to a razors edge? How often? We sharpen once a week and I usually am the one doing it so I do it to a razors edge.

OP
J

JLL25

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the site I guess, but I wasnt actually asking for "how" to stripe. I suppose I should have worded differently. My question was how far over do you guys let your deck hang over your last stripe? I know its a newbie kind of question but I dont have any other interaction with lawncare guys but my own, and I trained myself.

marko

LawnSite Senior Member
Experiment and see what looks best. I do bare minimum and try to keep tires from going over the same area.

elshauno

LawnSite Member
JLL25 said:
Thanks for the site I guess, but I wasnt actually asking for "how" to stripe. I suppose I should have worded differently. My question was how far over do you guys let your deck hang over your last stripe? I know its a newbie kind of question but I dont have any other interaction with lawncare guys but my own, and I trained myself.
I usually give about 4 or 5 inches just in case I hit a rut or a root and it throws my direction off a little