1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn too high!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by crc13, Apr 12, 2006.

1. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

Last summer I replanted an area of my yard that I filled in with some dirt. I spread it around and put down some seed. I have really noticed that this area is a lot higher then everything else, my wife calls it the putting green. Is there anything I can do besides tilling it up and redoing it?

2. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

Thanks for all the help!

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Till it or shave it off using a dozer (bobcat or tractor).

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you use different grass? What about fertilizer on that new grass? What about the soil?

kc

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Make a hole in the center and put a pole with a triangular white flag that has a black number from 1-18 in it.

6. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

It is mostly clay soil, not very good. It is kentucky mixed with some other type of grass. Will rolling work?

7. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

If it's longer than the surrounding grass it should be called the rough. :)

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I think he's saying the land lays higher, not that the grass is growing better. Not sure though -- on the first read I thought he was talking about the grass growing better, too.

Rolling might help, but with the amount of time that it has been done, I doubt it. If it was last summer, it has had plenty of time to settle -- unless you have had no rain at all. Depending on equipment available, I think reworking it is your only option. If it is a big area, I would suggest cutting the sod off before you start reworking the grade. Sod tilled into the soil makes a project like this much harder.