Lawn Tractor Dies After an Hour- Bubbles Streaming into Fuel Filter

LawnSite Member
My home use 15 yr old 14 HP I/C OHV Briggs Model #287704 Type 1224-E1 powered MTD lawn tractor sputters and wants to quit at high power after 30-45 minutes of mowing. Reducing power and disengaging mower deck allows continued running. Noticed stream of bubbles flowing through fuel filter. Only does it when hot and running for awhile. After pausing for a short time, it will mow again, but not longer that 10-30 seconds.
Guessing I need to check tightness of fuel line connections and check a possible obstruction.
Definitely sounds like a fuel problem. Tank half or less full when symptoms appear.
Interesting that it runs ok fine for awhile and is only symptomatic when hot.
After the hurricane rains pass tomorrow, I'll check/change fuel lines and watch for bubbles when cold.
Any experts ever hear of this problem?
Other ideas?
Thanks.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Take engine cover off and clean it, new air filter, tighten all fuel connections, check cap on fuel tank (make sure it is venting) check coils make sure they are not over heating.....

OP

LawnSite Member
You all got me thinking I should check air flow and if needed pull some tin and make sure the fins are not blocked by a mouse nest or other debris. The tractor is new to me and was sitting outside under a tarp for a year or so.

OP

LawnSite Member
Take engine cover off and clean it, new air filter, tighten all fuel connections, check cap on fuel tank (make sure it is venting) check coils make sure they are not over heating.....
Tank venting ok, connections tight. How does one check coil overheat?
Hot to touch? Any guides on a temperature range when they do not work? Can check with a laser thermometer.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
When coils overheat, they quit functioning, so just check the spark when it faulters

OP

LawnSite Member
Problem solved.
Mowed today with 1" heat reflective shield and regular 10% E gas. Engine never quit. Temp was over 190 on hot side of the heat shield and below 90 on cool side, well above the 173 degrees for ethanol to boil on the hot side. For the problem to manifest, it just took 45 minutes of hot day mowing and drawing down the gas to a low enough level to easily heat enough to boil the ethanol.
An online manual I found states one should use ethanol free gas. Guess they had an idea about this even though the 97 year of manufacture preceded the 2005 ethanol mandates.

Top Forums