• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Lawn Vac's

gogetter

Banned
I've done a ton of research on this topic lately!

I e-mailed Billy Goat and THEY even said that they don't work that well in wet leaves.
I've also heard several comments from various places on the web (homeownsers and pros) that lawn vacs create lotsa dust! And the bag size isn't as large as I'd personally like to see. Usually around 7 bushels or less. Plus, how many weeks of the year can you use this tool? Couple in spring, couple in fall?

I know most guys say blowing the leaves onto tarps is the way to go. This might be ok for really large lawns, but I just can't see that it's the best way for smaller lawns. Hell, if I used a walkbehind blower on some of my lawns, it would just blow them into the neighbors lawn (hmmm, maybe that is the best way to go after all. LOL!).

The other problems I see with blowing & tarping the leaves are windy days, and the fact that this doesn't reduce the volume of the leaves. Even one small lawn could fill my little 5'x10' trailer probably.

The idea I've come up with is this (disclaimer: I haven't actually done this yet, so I don't know how the end result will be. Input is appreciated).

Using a lawn tractor (had a Toro in mind) and the large 3 bin bagging unit which holds 10 or 11 bushels. Blow leaves out of beds, run over lawn with Exmark metro equipped with micro-mulch kit to reduce volume some. Then run over lawn with tractor/bagger reducing leaves even more and picking them up at same time. Dump onto trailer or tarps.

The side advantages of the tractor is being able to use it at other times of the year (which you can't do with a lawn vac), to pull attachments like aerator, dethatcher, etc.

Again, comments appreciated.