Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Yea, at those rates, it only take one or 2 days over 80 to hear the bacon sizzlin. Something else is the "feed grade" Urea. Is it melting properly? Do you have good tank agitation? Does the tank mix become more concenmtrated as the day goes on because of improper mixing if the active ingredients? Many variables but the first thing I'd do is drop the rate/1000 of N.
Heat is not the problem. 60s for highs. I agitate between apps and it's a pressured cross tank agitation.

The N rate is high, but not more than I have always applied. This season is the only variable, and not all lawns are browning. Only a select few, and mostly in areas that are shaded and probably stay damp but I always apply less in shaded areas. That is why I wonder about fungus.

Does the Mec D have the same application rate as 3 Way? That is the only real variable in this equation. I will have to go to the storage shed and get a label to check unless someone can give me an answer.
Yes 1.5oz per k max etc. 4 bags urea for 300gal is little rich for what you need. Someone spiked you with gly...

24D, mecaprop, MCPA are standard phenoxy's used in 3way herbicide mixtures.
Dicamba is a systemic and in the benzoic acid class /also common in 3 way blends.
Then there are the newer chemistries with fast leaf cuticle penetration and translocation that are in today's blends clopyralid & fluoroxypr / trade names confront and momentum.
Mecamine D is composed of 24D, mecaprop and dicamba, the same as the old trimec 992 - it's rates are 3 to 4 pints per acre ( standard for efficacy with this product ) the only difference are the amine salt percentages slightly.

If the turf is herbicide damaged there will be epinasty ( twisting and curling of the leaf from the rearrangement of cells in the leaf mesophyll ) even monocots such as turf grass can only tolerate so much herbicide. This is a key indicator that the broadleaf material was the culprit.
If the urea did the damage the turf will stay erect and become uniformly chlorotic ( yellow ) at 1st, then become uniformly brown / lose its elasticity or cell turgor from salt damage and finally wilt.

Use these as indicators for the future, hopefully you never experience this again.

Dave Stuart MA/ plant physiology, soil science.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.