LAYING 10 YARDS OF MULCH

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Amedeo, May 15, 2019.

1. Amedeo

Amedeo LawnSite Member

Hello I need to bid on laying 10 yards of mulch. The owner is buying the mulch, there is no prep work or edging needed. The beds are full of plants & flowers which need to be mulched around Whats a good bid price?

2. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Senior Member

Around a $100 a yard depending how open the space is. Like Greenscape said, pics help a lot.

GreenscapeCT likes this.
  4. GreenscapeCT

$100 True here also.

However, the customer is buying the mulch. So, $100 minus the cost of mulch ?

$75 per cubic yard on an easy installation?

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh my bad didn't realize that the home owner was buying the mulch, so yah some where between $60 and $75 per yard. Since your not getting the mulch you can't upcharge for it. Again if the OP could give us some pics that will help a lot.

6. GreenscapeCT

Not trying to offend the OP here, but...

How many mulch installs have you done?

Will you do it solo or with help?

Why is the customer buying the materials? Does said customer believe he can get a better price or is he trying to save money?

Will customer buy from a big-box in bags or bulk delivery? Or use his ‘ol F-100 and break the springs?

Were on the property will it be dumped? How far from beds?

Cam15 likes this.
  7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

My price= no thanks. I'm not interested in shoveling mulch off the pavement or not making mark-up on the material. Based on my local prices he would be cheaper to let me do everything instead of piecing it out.

hort101, Cam15 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  8. GreenscapeCT

I agree.

The wholesaler should be giving a better price to the contractors that buy from them consistently.

Add in the contractors mark-up, and the contractor price should still be better than the homeowners one-time purchase.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

To be safe I would just go two days for one guy.. 16 man hrs... at whatever you rate is per hour.. I think that would be padded well.. however taking into consideration your scooping off the ground. Also figuring finishing and leveling mulch on the old hands and knees...if your $40 per hour for General Landscape= $640.00.. from the sound of this however I’m doubtful you’ll get this job unless your very low...

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Cam15 likes this.
  10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

16 hours, more like 5 or 6. I'd say $300 take it or leave it and move on.

Cam15 likes this.