LAYING 10 YARDS OF MULCH

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
You fork all the mulch out of the wheelbarrow don’t dump any??
I use 5gal bucket for in tight spaces, but if you've been doing this for 20yrs I'm sure you know that trick already.

Matthews Lawn Care

LawnSite Gold Member
I am baffled and beyond interested at tips on getting my mulch production up... if you guys doing 10 yards in 4-7 hours.. we get 40 yards (semi load ) every week for nearly 15-20 weeks straight... best I can do is a yard a hour with minimum prep.. I mean wheelbarrow.. dump.. spread with pitchfork then spread and level on hands and knees... that’s how I’ve done it for 20 plus years.. how customers demand.. open to any tips from you mulching speedsters.. hell takes me 15 minutes to load 10 yards at the shop..
When I switched to bags on pallets, my efficiency increased. Way less cleanup, easier/faster to get into tight spots, and you can buy pallets and unload them into the shop with a tractor/forklift or pallet jack until you need them. Way easier imo.

KUMA01

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use a mixture of items 5 gallon buckets for under hedges. Brute trash barrels for terrace mulching and on steep slopes. Brentwood 8 and 10 cubic foot wheelbarrows and a Jackson 6 cubic foot one for finishing touches. I hardly ever use the six cubic foot one anymore. The name of the game with mulch is getting volume to the bed hence the bigger wheelbarrows. You need two mulch forks one to load and one to spread a poly scoop/ snow shovel ( that can gets 2.5 pitchfork scoops in one. I tested it) take Wheelbarrow to the bed you want mulch around the plants by hand, 5 gallon bucket whatever. The. You use the mulch fork and it’s sll in the wrist in spreading it at your desired thickness... you sling it; it spreads it while you putting it down. No I have not been doing this for 20 years lol I’m 17 years old I learned it when I work for a company when I was 15. Like I said I’ll make a video tomorrow and put it up on here for you guys.

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
I use a mixture of items 5 gallon buckets for under hedges. Brute trash barrels for terrace mulching and on steep slopes. Brentwood 8 and 10 cubic foot wheelbarrows and a Jackson 6 cubic foot one for finishing touches. I hardly ever use the six cubic foot one anymore. The name of the game with mulch is getting volume to the bed hence the bigger wheelbarrows. You need two mulch forks one to load and one to spread a poly scoop/ snow shovel ( that can gets 2.5 pitchfork scoops in one. I tested it) take Wheelbarrow to the bed you want mulch around the plants by hand, 5 gallon bucket whatever. The. You use the mulch fork and it’s sll in the wrist in spreading it at your desired thickness... you sling it; it spreads it while you putting it down. No I have not been doing this for 20 years lol I’m 17 years old I learned it when I work for a company when I was 15. Like I said I’ll make a video tomorrow and put it up on here for you guys.
I'm very similar but only use a blue Jackson 6ft wheelbarrow. 2 forks and a seed scoop. I'll roll and dump out 5 wheelbarrow loads then spread along the back of the bed. The next round will be the front. I keep this up till everything is covered. I bill out 1 cubic yard for every 5 wheelbarrow loads. This way the customer is getting a generous yard and I can keep up with how much goes down. The other thing that helps me is having fold down sides on my dump trailer. I can easily just rake it out and go.