LAYING 10 YARDS OF MULCH

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Amedeo, May 15, 2019.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

You fork all the mulch out of the wheelbarrow don’t dump any??

KUMA01 likes this.
  2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member

I was gonna say you sound way to experienced to be taking advice from us screwballs!

KUMA01 likes this.
  3. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member

I use 5gal bucket for in tight spaces, but if you've been doing this for 20yrs I'm sure you know that trick already.

KUMA01 likes this.
  4. eggy

Youbar
    so you can do two yards a hour for 240.00 a hour mulch runs about 24 a yard at cost.. for 8-9 hours a day... holy sh.t I’m not doing this right

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

When I switched to bags on pallets, my efficiency increased. Way less cleanup, easier/faster to get into tight spots, and you can buy pallets and unload them into the shop with a tractor/forklift or pallet jack until you need them. Way easier imo.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. eggy

We just have semis with the live floor dump on concrete pads at the shop then load into truck and or trailers...

Cam15 likes this.
  7. eggy

Nevertheless I guess back to the topic regarding the estimate... but you guys have got me scratching the old noggin a bit...

Cam15 likes this.
  8. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a mixture of items 5 gallon buckets for under hedges. Brute trash barrels for terrace mulching and on steep slopes. Brentwood 8 and 10 cubic foot wheelbarrows and a Jackson 6 cubic foot one for finishing touches. I hardly ever use the six cubic foot one anymore. The name of the game with mulch is getting volume to the bed hence the bigger wheelbarrows. You need two mulch forks one to load and one to spread a poly scoop/ snow shovel ( that can gets 2.5 pitchfork scoops in one. I tested it) take Wheelbarrow to the bed you want mulch around the plants by hand, 5 gallon bucket whatever. The. You use the mulch fork and it’s sll in the wrist in spreading it at your desired thickness... you sling it; it spreads it while you putting it down. No I have not been doing this for 20 years lol I’m 17 years old I learned it when I work for a company when I was 15. Like I said I’ll make a video tomorrow and put it up on here for you guys.

Tru EverGreen and Cam15 like this.
  9. eggy

I believe all you guys.. I guess we all have are ways and speed...as long as we are making the customers happy and turning a profit...back to the original question...

Cam15, Matthews Lawn Care and KUMA01 like this.
  10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I'm very similar but only use a blue Jackson 6ft wheelbarrow. 2 forks and a seed scoop. I'll roll and dump out 5 wheelbarrow loads then spread along the back of the bed. The next round will be the front. I keep this up till everything is covered. I bill out 1 cubic yard for every 5 wheelbarrow loads. This way the customer is getting a generous yard and I can keep up with how much goes down. The other thing that helps me is having fold down sides on my dump trailer. I can easily just rake it out and go.

Cam15, Doc8406 and KUMA01 like this.