Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a 2003 lazer z 60" 23 kohler. i noticed the '04 has a gas guage and everyone seems to like that idea.

Why doesnt exmark build a replacement gas cap with a guage in it for the older models?

seems that would be a big seller.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
ffemt1271,

The big reason we've never offered a cap type gauge is availability and durability. There are not that many out there that will fit our current tank thread. There may have been some that fit the older style tank thread but the concern there was durability.

The only other option was an Exmark only rather than a generic and the cost was a real big issue. It doesn’t make sense to offer a cap that cost nearly as much as the tank.

The current tank gauge has performed well from what I've been told, is an "off the shelf" item and thus does not require and investment in some rather expensive tooling.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
DD,

The tanks will bolt on but you'll have a cavity in the RH tank where the 04 controls would have mounted.

Thanks

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Guys,

I talked with one of our engineers and it turns out it's a little more complicated that I first thought. To put the 04 tanks on an 03 or older Lazer Z you'll need the following:
-tanks
-PTO switch
-choke cable
-throttle cable
-console for controls
-wiring harness
-motion control weldment (this is the apparatus under the front console area that the drive levers bolt to and control the pumps)
-52" units will also need to replace the discharge chute so it can clear the tank.

DD, you'll also need the motion control weldment as well. Price on the tank alone is a $172 potatoes.

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
477 Posts
So if I understand it correctly, I'm out of luck for a tank guage for my '02 unless I spend $350+++ ??

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Navig8r,

The sum of the parts can add up pretty fast. Unfortuneatly I've been unable to source an aftermarket cap with a gauge as well.

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
961 Posts
Later I may add a gauge to my Lazer,...

I added one to a '93 Sea-Doo GTS I used to have. There are a few companies making 12v sending units and gauge kits. The one I installed on the Sea Doo was a little over a hundred bucks (a few years ago). I took about 2 hours to install, had to remove tank from sea doo.

I did an AOL search on "Gas Gauge Kits" and got a few hits, most marine applications which would work fine.
Just buy the kit, bore a hole in side or top of tank, install sending unit, adjust (calibrate), hook up wires, mount gauge, and go mow grass.
If I do mine, I'm gonna get two sending units, and use a toggle switch to switch between the tanks with the one gauge. ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
My caps dont leak.... and I always top em off.........

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Leo,

The fuel cap we are currently using will be identical to the one used on the 03' models. It appears that we may have a more consistant cap coming however it is not yet available.

Thanks

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
ALTALAWNCARE,

A word of CAUTION: Don't forget fuel is very explosive. A local guy here was just putting the finishing touches on a 53' Chevy Cab-over car hauler. Cool truck, lots of aluminum diamond plate, alloy wheels, awesome interior etc. He was using a sending unit kit on the fuel tank at the time.

My understanding is that when he hooked in the power for the sending unit the tank went boom and hastened his rapid acceleration from under the truck to a location on the other side of the shop. His ears are still ringing but he doesn't have a gas gauge.

We wouldn't recommend something like this simply because we don't know anything about the components or the company selling them. If you do proceed please be careful and avoid the boom.

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
411 Posts
Are the gas caps warrantee? I always filled mine to the top but now the right side is leaking through the vent hole, it stops when the engine is running off that tank, but when their is gas in the right (more than 2/3 full) and I'm using the left tank, the right cap will spit out large amounts of gas.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
DD,

The first thing you'll want to do is swap the caps from side to side and determine if the problem follows the cap or stays with the tank. Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Terry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts