Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry, but there is no exact way to tell. The conversion factor that was used in the previous post is for converting pounds of water into the number of cubic feet of water. Topsoil has a different density than water, thus rendering the conversion wrong. Different types of topsoil would have different densities, and even the same type of topsoil could have different densities (compacted and loose). What I am getting at is there is no exact way to determine this using a conversion factor. Around here, the general rule is that a ton of topsoil equals about a cu yard, but this is a very general rule.

I just found this in my Pocket Ref. It lists "Earth, Loam, Dry, Excavated" as having 78 lb. per cu. ft. That works out to: 40 lb/78 = .52 cu. ft. Still, this is an estimate, and to me it seems very low.

Eric

[Edited by eskals on 01-16-2001 at 01:51 PM]

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
The moisture content would have a great bearing effect too. Same holds true with mulch and anything else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is almost impossible to convert lbs to sq ft or cu ft
there are to many varibles,,,best way is:
find a box (square or rectangle) that will hold the bag or 2
measure the h x w x d and you have your cu ft.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Pounds to Cubic feet is Weight to volume, which can't be done.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Give it up, Lonestar. Fliud ounces are volume measurements, not weight measurements. If you wish to convert weight to volume, or vice versa, for any substance, liquid, gas or solid, you have to know the specific gravity of the substance. Since there is no general specific gravity value for soil (it is extremely variable, depending on the mineral and moisture content), noone can give you the correct answer for your specific bag of dirt. You have to measure it yourself, as Dennis suggests above.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hey Lonestar...knock...knock...they are all correct in saying too many variables. It's like saying which is heavier a pound of feathers or a pound of lead. ;) Densities all play in...one bag could be more than another due to different densities from where the soil was dug to put in the bag. If you don't like everyone's answer build yourself a box one square foot and dump a bag into it. Until then stop bashing people's responses to you.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't believe i was bashing anyone...If anyone felt that way I'm sorry it came across that way. I appreciate everyone responses who tried to help. The 40 lb bag of soil is EarthGro so if anyone has used this particular soil and knows how much it covers then let me know. I really don't want to purchase a bag to price shop.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Are you gonna till it in or topdress? Also...what is total square footage? I have used the earthgro stuff before and I could've sworn they had rates on the bag for topdressing and tilling in, but I guess since you looked they don't now. If I recall for topdressing (1/2") plan on 1 bag for every 4 square feet. You might want to take a look at other bags of soil as I can swear that on the back they tell you how many bags you'll need to topdress or amend the soil. If the customer wants it for a soil supplement check out the miracle-gro soil amendment...a little bit more expensive, but I used it in my personal garden last year and you wouldn't believe how big the peppers were from the year before. It also could've been the mushroom soil I used too, but it sure beat the clay that I used to have!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't suppose there are any landscape material supply companys in your area that sell the stuff by the yard. Up here in the North East. We can usally get everything we need by the yard 1/2 yard and even a third yard if that all thats required. I know I wouldn't want to mess with all those stupid bags. Judgeing by what I've read in this post so far, you will need at least 160 bags just to get started, then you'll probably have to go back and get more once you see how far that goes. Not for me.. good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.