Leads from the website . . .

Century Landscape

LawnSite Member
All right,

So I have a customer that found me from an internet billboard I have with a "Contact Now" button on the site. His message says "I want to get a paver patio installed, approx. XX sq ft. Need estimate."

So I e-mail him back:

Mr. X,

Thanks for your interest in having Century Lawn & Landscape install your patio! To get you an estimate worked up, we'll need a little more information.

Have you selected a type of pavers you would like installed? We can source pretty much any type of pavers you've found, and offer competitive pricing.

What type of area would we be installing the pavers in? Is it currently a patio, turf area, landscaped beds, etc.

If you could provide this information, and possibly e-mail me a few pictures of the area you'd like your new patio installed in, I could give you a fairly accurate estimate. Of course, I can provide a firm proposal after visiting the site, verifying layout and measurements.

Please e-mail me back at X@.com or you can reach me at xxx.

Sincerely,

XX
Century Lawn & Landscape

A week has gone by, no response.

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back, a lady sent me a message, said "I'd like to get an estimate on a patio and walkway". I e-mail her back asking for contact information and offering to set up a free on site visit to get proposal worked up, and I never hear anything back.

Is there something I should be doing different in my first contact with these customers? I e-mail back promptly, offer to come by at no charge, even give a rough estimate without visiting, but no response. :confused:

Any ideas or changes I could make to my sales technique? There's really not much sales technique going on as the customers never contact me back.

Have any of you had the same type of responses from leads generated online?

Just fishing for ideas and pointers here . . .

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
All right,

So I have a customer that found me from an internet billboard I have with a "Contact Now" button on the site. His message says "I want to get a paver patio installed, approx. XX sq ft. Need estimate."

So I e-mail him back:

Mr. X,

Thanks for your interest in having Century Lawn & Landscape install your patio! To get you an estimate worked up, we'll need a little more information.

Have you selected a type of pavers you would like installed? We can source pretty much any type of pavers you've found, and offer competitive pricing.

What type of area would we be installing the pavers in? Is it currently a patio, turf area, landscaped beds, etc.

If you could provide this information, and possibly e-mail me a few pictures of the area you'd like your new patio installed in, I could give you a fairly accurate estimate. Of course, I can provide a firm proposal after visiting the site, verifying layout and measurements.

Please e-mail me back at X@.com or you can reach me at xxx.

Sincerely,

XX
Century Lawn & Landscape

A week has gone by, no response.

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back, a lady sent me a message, said "I'd like to get an estimate on a patio and walkway". I e-mail her back asking for contact information and offering to set up a free on site visit to get proposal worked up, and I never hear anything back.

Is there something I should be doing different in my first contact with these customers? I e-mail back promptly, offer to come by at no charge, even give a rough estimate without visiting, but no response. :confused:

Any ideas or changes I could make to my sales technique? There's really not much sales technique going on as the customers never contact me back.

Have any of you had the same type of responses from leads generated online?

Just fishing for ideas and pointers here . . .

main thing you should do different is lose the contact now form. These people are just tire kicking price shoppers who want a patio but don't know how much it costs. Probably don't have money to put one in and want to negotiate the cheapest price.

If someone is serious about spending $10,000 on landscaping, they can pick up the phone and call. When I email a company about a price it's usually because I'm just curious how much it costs, and don't want to call because I know I can't afford it.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I try not to engage in detailed conversations with prospective clients on e-mail. I want to hear their tone and expression. VERY important as a gauge in qualifying.

Yesterday I get an e-mail saying "hi I live in blah blah blah and want a patio installed as soon as possible". No address and no phone number. She did provide her name, and her e-mail address appears to be a legit address.

So I provided a real quick and simple response: "Hello Ms. Jones, thank you for your interest in Outdoor Finisshes, please call me at the number below to discuss and hopefully schedule a consultation. Best Regards, Andrew Hardscape, Awesomest Patio Contractor".

Seriously, what kind of reply do these people expect? I can't just reply with "oh, I can meet you tomorrow at 3:30". I don't even know their address or if they are even available. Plus, I really need to ask some questions and see if it's even a job I want to go after. Notice my e-mail says "discuss and HOPEFULLY schedule a consultation". By wording like this leads them to think I'm optimistic to meet with them and hoping they'll schedule a consultation with me. When in reality I'm meaning "I want to talk to you first and if you tell me what I want to hear I'll meet with you".

OP
Century Landscape

Century Landscape

LawnSite Member
When I email a company about a price it's usually because I'm just curious how much it costs, and don't want to call because I know I can't afford it.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but, I can't very well give him a price with no details.

main thing you should do different is lose the contact now form.

Doesn't really seem like a good option to me, but that's just my opinion. Of course I have my number big and bold as day on the site, but if they want to contact me by e-mail, I'd like to leave that avenue available as well.

Anybody else have an option on the "Contact Now" form?

OP
Century Landscape

Century Landscape

LawnSite Member
I try not to engage in detailed conversations with prospective clients on e-mail. I want to hear their tone and expression. VERY important as a gauge in qualifying.

Yesterday I get an e-mail saying "hi I live in blah blah blah and want a patio installed as soon as possible". No address and no phone number. She did provide her name, and her e-mail address appears to be a legit address.

So I provided a real quick and simple response: "Hello Ms. Jones, thank you for your interest in Outdoor Finisshes, please call me at the number below to discuss and hopefully schedule a consultation. Best Regards, Andrew Hardscape, Awesomest Patio Contractor".

Seriously, what kind of reply do these people expect? I can't just reply with "oh, I can meet you tomorrow at 3:30". I don't even know their address or if they are even available. Plus, I really need to ask some questions and see if it's even a job I want to go after. Notice my e-mail says "discuss and HOPEFULLY schedule a consultation". By wording like this leads them to think I'm optimistic to meet with them and hoping they'll schedule a consultation with me. When in reality I'm meaning "I want to talk to you first and if you tell me what I want to hear I'll meet with you".

AMEN TO EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID.

My first request I had from the lady, I gave almost the exact same reply you did. "Please send me your number, address, etc or call me so we can set up a consultation" That didn't seem to work, so on the prospect I'm posting about, I tried to verify, accommodate, and hopefully qualify the customer by ballparking and seeing if it is even in his range. But NO RESPONSE, NO INFORMATION from either of them.

I guess I'm venting about lukewarm interest :confused: If I am interested enough to e-mail a form, I have the courtesy and interest to respond.

Think I should modify my initial form to require a contact phone number? My opinion kinda was that if they're looking online for me and don't want to call me, they're not gonna want me to call them either.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
you absolutely must have a contact form.

Serious clients DO fill it out and they DO sent it to you and they DO wait for your response.

Many people surf the web at weird hrs of the night and early morning. It's easier for them to send you the form then to call you at 1:30 in the morning. I had one customer ( a business man) who would always send me e-mails at 5:30 in the morning. Funny thing is.....I usually check my e-mail at that time before I leave the house!

We get the most e-mails using our contact sheet on Saturdays and Sundays. People know we're closed on the weekends and they wait for me to respond.

Also, if I receive an e-mail from our contact page at a late hour, over the weekend, or when I'm in the middle of something - I ALWAYS respond as soon as I get it. "Hello Mrs. Purplepants, I wanted to acknolodge your emale expressing interest N a patio. I will call you at the time you requested on Monday. I look forward to chatting with you then. Signed, Andrew Hardscape, Awesomest Patio Dude"

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/contact.aspx

Last edited:

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Also......e-mail frequently ends up in people's Junk Mail folder.

I realize you did nit get any contact info, so there's nothing else you can do.

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
Contact form is fine, it should just have

Name, Number, Location, Notes

Then you can call them back

Not a contact me now for quote or anything of the sort. A way for them to leave their contact info I should say

OP
Century Landscape

Century Landscape

LawnSite Member
DVS,

I definitely like your contact form, especially having a check box for whether or not the customer has established a budget and whether or not they have worked with a hardscape contractor before.

I did just look over my contact form, and it is very basic. I need to get with my website guy to adjust it. A home phone number should be essential contact info.

I definitely agree with the need for a contact form for the exact reasons listed about odd hours. We want customers to contact us when they're interested so we can start communicating with them while the excitement level is high.

Good points, all. Thanks