Leaf Blade Setup

MNGr33nGr4ss

LawnSite Member
I bought a couple new Grandstands w/ the 25hp Kohler EFI. I will be using the Red Magic Maxfill system for cleanups. It runs off the Toro Ultra-Vac blower.

Looking for input on using x-blades during cleanups only. How would using only Gator style blades in that setup work? I've searched but most comments discuss pairing gators w/ hi-lifts and I was thinking of using 6 gators per mower to really grind them down. Any downsides to that? Like making them too small and clogging the tube. Is the 25hp underpowered to run x-blades AND the ultra vac? Would blowout be an issue? I figure there would be enough force to get the leaves to the ultra-vac so the "throwing" power of hi-lifts might not be needed. But I could be wrong.

In the past I ran one mower bagging and the other w/ a mulch kit to pre-grind them down. Using this new mower during spring cleanups, I found how great of a system this is and decided to not run a mulching mower this fall on cleanups. It has an 8" tube and it only clogged once on spring cleanups but those leaves were pretty much swamp leaves. Obviously conditions are vastly different in the spring vs the fall.

Any thoughts and input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
20210723_152011.jpg

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
How wide is your deck there? It looks like either a 54 or 60 in that pic, but the pic may be deceiving. Doubles with a 54 or 60 and the blower being run off it will probably be too much for 25 HP in heavy leaves.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
You may be alright as long as that blower doesn't drain too much power on its own. The doubles alone wouldn't be too much for it, but again, with the blower.....there's only one way to know for sure.:nod:

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
With my Current Ferris 20.5hp, and old Exmark 15hp walk behinds, both 48" I run doubles almost exclusively year round. A high lift + G5 during spring and summer, and swap the high lift for a shredder type blade with minimal lift for leaves. Neither mower has ever struggled(just make sure the engine rpm's are adjusted for the extra load).

Both these setups work great for me depending on the conditions. I do not bag anything so cant say for how the powered blower will play into it.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Not if one of them is a G5 as you stated. The G5 is a high lift blade! Those vac units are actually pretty weak and easily overpowered by the air from even a single set of blades, causing blowout.
A G5 may be a high lift mulcher, but it is not a high lift blade. I get deeper stripes with just high lift blades, vs a G5, but get small clippings with a G5 then a high lift blade.
I get best of both worlds personally by running both, but thats not what I told the OP to do. I said 2 shredder blades have less lift then 1 high lift.

In the fall I pair a blade like this with the G5.
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/universal/302616

If the OP used 2 of these like he had initially asked he will not overpower the vacuum.

Top Forums