• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Leaf Blower By-law

Pristine PM

LawnSite Member
Hi guys, today the city of Toronto voted not to go forward with any type of by-law that would make using leaf blowers illegal.

Has this ever come up in your city?

What are the other options? Vacuum?

Did you go to your clients and explain the situation and change the contract?

I don't think this will ever happen in Toronto now, but I am curious what has been done in case they ever decide to go this route again.

Thanks,

Jon

AL Inc

LawnSite Bronze Member
The issue came up about ten years ago here in my town. I remember going to the meeting at town hall, there were about 20 landscapers there, and one or two wackos who were trying to get them banned. The compromise was pretty good, 8-7 Monday to Friday, and 9-5 on the weekends. We can live with that.

landscape guy

LawnSite Member
:canadaflag: when i sent my contracts out a couple of weeks ago we put a note stating if the bylaw went through we would bill the client any extra cleanup time, and to call their councilor about it.:usflag: :waving:

OP
P

Pristine PM

LawnSite Member
How did your clients take that? We really only do townhomes, and I would love to go to the manager and say.. hey, going to be an extra $3000 in labour for the properties that we do for you."

OP
P

Pristine PM

LawnSite Member
Yeah, I only heard about it today, before the vote, and then after the vote failed. I guess they didn't want a bunch of lawn cutters showing up at the meeting.
ha

OP
P

Pristine PM

LawnSite Member
I was just reading today that we actually do have a bylaw against blowers, but it is one that I cannot see anyone wanting to break anyway, and you think that the normal noise bylaws would be enough. We have hours as well, from 9 pm to 7 am you cannot start a blower on weekdays, from 7pm to 9am on the weekends.